Computer help

TexaSS

A few months ago I built a computer for one of my buddies and now it has crapped out. When the computer is turned on, there is nothing being sent to the monitor, the screen stays totally black. The motherboard has onboard video, so there is no seperate video card.

I took the video card out of my computer and put it in his to see if it would work, but still no video. I also took his harddrive out and plugged it into mine to see if everything is still fine on there, and it is.

My guess is just that the whole motherboard is gone, but I'm not sure.....any ideas?

Did you try pulling the power leads off the motherboard and then putting them back on? Perhaps test for voltage from the power supply while you have them off?

Can you hear the HD heads rattling around, like they do normally when the system boots?

If you have voltage to the motherboard, and the HD is just spinning, the you are probably looking at a bad motherboard. If it has a warranty use it, othewise just swap it out. They are pretty cheap these days.

Archived