Quick 2/2 drop is it safe

motoracer204

Is it safe to lower my front torsion bars and just buy the shackles for the rear i just want a 2/2 drop and ive seen the kits and i think their reasonably priced but ive fallen on hard times and need to spend as little cash as possible, im no mechanic but i was jsut wondering from some of you ss pros what your take on this is. i know it has to be realigned and thats no big deal but if i can just lower the front torsion bars all i need is the shackels right??

Is it safe to lower my front torsion bars and just buy the shackles for the rear i just want a 2/2 drop and ive seen the kits and i think their reasonably priced but ive fallen on hard times and need to spend as little cash as possible, im no mechanic but i was jsut wondering from some of you ss pros what your take on this is. i know it has to be realigned and thats no big deal but if i can just lower the front torsion bars all i need is the shackels right??

There isn't enough adjustment in the bolts to get 2" you will need keys and shackles don't forget to cut one nub off of the front bumpstops.

what do you think the best way to go about buying the keys and shackels for a good price, i heard something about purple keys from gm but other than just hearing of them thats all i know thx alot man

I dunno anything about purple keys but if you order Belltech or McGaughys keys which are both the same then you get about an inch and you can adjust the other inch out of the bolts :thumbs:

There isn't enough adjustment in the bolts to get 2" you will need keys and shackles don't forget to cut one nub off of the front bumpstops.

Jonmalibuss, I've heard several times that the front bumpstops were a necessity to the suspension. Is there any truth to this or is it another GM super-precaution?

Jonmalibuss, I've heard several times that the front bumpstops were a necessity to the suspension. Is there any truth to this or is it another GM super-precaution?

This is very true they are needed as part of the suspention this is why if you get under and look at any half ton or HD silverado they sit so they are just touching the bump stops this is mainly with tortion bar trucks because you have a single spring rate with a tortion bar unlike coils you can have a very stiff area of the coil and a softer area of the coil giving it a variable spring rate. The bump stops are very soft and give the suspention a variable spring rate. They are so good we are even using them on our roadrace truck.

772146_263_full.jpg It can be seen at the bottom of the coil spring just to the right of it light yellow. This is the HD bumpstop a bit different than ours.

I got just over 1.75" out of my stock keys and trimmed one nub from the bumpstops, and shackles in the rear. Going any lower via aftermarket keys/looser torsion bars will pull me out of spec for camber on the right side.

If I were to go lower, I'd be doing it with spindles.

Archived