Best Way To Drop Truck

drkcharcoal 03

I have an 03 ecsb silverado and would be interested in lowering it.I am about to purchase some 20 inch wheels and tires and would like to add a 2'' 4'' drop. I want to maintain best ride and handling. I plan on keeping this truck for many years and don't want to cause any maitinance issues by lowering too much?I hear about spindles,control arms and coils and am not sure which way to go? Any recomendations on brands or personal experience would be great. Thanks in advance.

The only correct way to drop the front end of our trucks is with drop spindles. It can be done with a torsion bar adjustment/keys (less expensive), but doing so will not retain the correct suspension geometry and ride quality. For the rear, it's less complex - shackles are OK.

McGaughys or Belltech makes kits to do this. :chevy:

Post some pics for us when you get done! :D

I think this guy may have a coil front end..seeing that his name is drkcharcoal 03, and they didn't make a ss in that color...so maybe we need some more info?

Most of the info in my previous post still applies. It's still preferable to use drop spindles if you want to maintain your ride quality/correct suspension geometry. It is possible to cut down the coil springs, or install "lowering springs", but most people seem to hate how the truck rides after doing that (and you will bottom out easily too). Check out Belltech's website, they make kits for a lot of different vehicles: Belltech. Good luck! :chevy:

I have not installed one on my SS yet, but I have dealt with this sort of thing in the past. Maybe some of the other guys can share their experiences? As far as which brand is better, I've heard good things about both. However, Belltech has been around since the late 80's...

Just so you guys don't get worried if you get the Belltech spindles and see a different part# The new part # is 2508. You will see in my pics th part# on my spindles is 2507 I belive this is because they were a pre production run of these spindles. I have already talked with Eric at Belltech about it because a couple of other guys on the site got spindles and got worried because the part# was different but it's still the same spindle.

I talked to a guy in town that installs drop kits for trucks. He has a 02 sbrc GMC and he has that hotchkis kit on his. He said it is nicely built stuff, but the ride is really bad. He said that any little bump in the road and the truck jumps towards the right. :dunno: Maybe just a flaw in his setup, but he has lowered over 200 trucks and I take his word for it.

Archived