What'ya think???

jdub396

What’s your opinion…

Have a 69 Chevelle SS 396, and planning on ground up restoration. The car will be pretty “modern”, meaning 18” wheels, 4 wheel discs, Hotchkis, ext… Now for the powerplant, I’m torn. I have the original motor sitting in my loft if I ever decide to put her back original, but for now I’m looking for something else. My goal is 600-700 HP oozing reliably. The original plan was to stay with the big block w/ big cubes, maybe 572?? It’d be nice to have AL block (I want the thing to handle like my 96 Impala SS), but I an’t got the bank for that!! But lately I’ve been toying with the idea of a twin turbo LS1 motor….maybe even stroke/bore it out to 396ci, just for name sakes??? I could still reach 600 HP, and bolt up a 6-speed allot cheaper, not to mention the weight save!! Not sure if there has been many guys do this with a full frame car, but if you have, let me know how it went!!

Sounds like a cool project. However if you can't afford an aluminum block, I would think the twin turbos would be a little pricier. They just did a LS2 swap into a first gen Camaro in Super Chevy. How about the new LS2 based LS7? Those bad boys are factory dry sump oiling and are rated at 505HP. A little squirt of nitrous and bam you're right at your goal. I definately like the G-machine type of hot rod and am considering doing it to my 70 Chevelle. The El camino is getting "restified" though. Later

Dave

I would go big cube big block, big heads and mild roller cam.

The stock rear suspension would need improvement, and the frame should be a boxed frame- the convertibles had them, as well as some others.

Modern stiff sidewall 18" tires will NOT hook 600-700 hp in my opinion, it would be nothing but spinning at that power level with those type of tires.

The front frame horns like to sag as well in the big block cars, I would have an alignment shop check the camber and the frame could be tweaked to allow adjustment when finished BEFORE the reassembly.

I've built MANY 1969 Chevelles, frame off restos every time.

Why not just a stout big cube 550ish hp engine with more reliability and just as much chance of hooking? Gas is getting EXPENSIVE.....?

Modern stiff sidewall 18" tires will NOT hook 600-700 hp in my opinion, it would be nothing but spinning at that power level with those type of tires.

:withstupid: , to keep the modern theme GM offers a great motor in the Ram-jet 502. It's fuel injected, looks great, capable of having a modest power adder, and has a stout approx 500hp out of the crate. JMO.

My Dad an I are also in the process of setting up blueprints to do a 67 Chevelle SS. We are looking at droping in a 572R (720). I did look at the new 427 small block that comes in the new zo6, the 7.0, but it retails for almost $20,000, but you can get one for closer to $14,000...still more expensive than the 572 or the 502 ram jet.

I'd look at the 502 ram jet also, I know it has one hell of a tall deck height, so you will need one big hood scoop, but I've heard nothing but great things about that engine.

My Dad an I are also in the process of setting up blueprints to do a 67 Chevelle SS.  We are looking at droping in a 572R (720).  I did look at the new 427 small block that comes in the new zo6, the 7.0, but it retails for almost $20,000, but you can get one for closer to $14,000...still more expensive than the 572 or the 502 ram jet.

I'd look at the 502 ram jet also, I know it has one hell of a tall deck height, so you will need one big hood scoop, but I've heard nothing but great things about that engine.

572R....Nice!!! I'm looking to keep the stock hood. How much did/are you looking to pick up that 572 for?? They (Hot-rod mag)did some dyno runs on both the 572's, and they're both underated!!

Archived