Add the Whistle or Not?

LogixRat

I have wanted a fast truck for awhile, and I am seriously considering buying an SS as my start point. One question I had is should I add a supercharger?

I know I will love the extra horses, but I am more concerned with the effects it may have on engine life. I have a co-worker that just thrashed the idea of a supercharger saying I would be lucky to get 50k miles out of it.

Anyone care to input? I'm really looking for the truth on rather to add the whistle or not. There is no doubt in my mind I want the power, I just don't want to sacrifice the reliability as this will be my daily driver.

Thanks!

wait until you own one, then decide. a supercharger might be more than you're looking for :dunno: doubtful but possible. maybe go for the "power on demand" route by adding a nitrous set-up if you don't want constant stress on your motor. I know I'd love a Radix but Uncle Sam's not the highest paying employer.

wait until you own one, then decide.  a supercharger might be more than you're looking for :dunno:  doubtful but possible.  maybe go for the "power on demand" route by adding a nitrous set-up if you don't want constant stress on your motor.  I know I'd love a Radix but Uncle Sam's not the highest paying employer.

If he is concerned about the life of his motor, why would he want to do nitrous? Isn't that bad on the motor??

If he is concerned about the life of his motor, why would he want to do nitrous? Isn't that bad on the motor??

No, despite your belief. If used by a knowledgable driver along with the many safety accessories available it can be less hard on your drivetrain than FI via Supercharger etc., with close to the same power results. Do some good research and you can read testimonials in mags and on the web, not to mention testing on your own.

I keep hearing about Radix. I assume that is the brand I want for best all around performance?

Also, how much boost are you guys running? And did you self install or have a local shop do it? What is typical install costs? I've never installed one and am concerned I'll mess it up. And I live in Tulsa, OK and to my knowledge there aren't any "big dogs" out here that does custom engine work.

I did the radix install myself. Maybe 8 hours. The unit already comes assembled to the intake manifold and their install instructions were excellent.

I still have the stock pulley so I only hear the "whistle" under load conditions around 2,200 rpm and higher. Under normal driving, you don't even know it's there.

Since it's based on an eaton unit, which GM uses on their factory superchargers, I agree with Zippy that you'll probably get well over 50K and not sacrifice any reliability.

I'm at 10K with mine and feel it was the best decision I made.

Chris

Archived