What are you guys paying for TB converter installs

A converter install in SIMPLE. Just take your time, and do it right.

The short version:

1) Remove the driveshafts, drain ATF from trans and T-case

2) Remove all electrical connections on tcase and trans

3) Remove the transfer case (makes it much easier to wrestle trans around later)

4) Remove the trans cooler lines and shift linkage (is there even a shift linkage anymore??)

5) Unbolt the bellhousing fasteners

6) Slide the tranny back and off of the engine, and remove from truck.

7) Yank the old converter

8) Fill the new one with fluid

9) Re-install the converter, and make sure it's fully seated.

10) Reverse the steps

Save yourself the $$$ and use it on more mods...or fuel :banghead: .

:withstupid:

Suggestions -

Step 5a) remove starter, reach through openening and remove three converter-to-flywheel bolts

I would also remove the exhaust head pipes and frame crossmember from the truck, the exhaust removal is probably necessary, and the 15-mins to R&R the frame crossmember will pay dividends later.

Have a friend with you to steady the transfer case & tranny when lowering/raising, or you can just figure you will loose some skin :D The rest of it is a one-man job, took me a day and a half, and I was not hurrying.

As you are draining the entire system, now is a good time to switch to synthetic ATF, but very expensive. Also since you are going to have the tranny out this is a great time to install a new filter, or shift kit/servos.

Mr. P. :)

i had the trans tech do it for me , i just gave me 100 and he siad it woul dhave been more if he knew it awd! but he did it anyway, gotta love working for the generel. on a side note my abs module went out yesterday, 900 $ , i love warranty!

I think I paid the trans guy at my dealership $250 cash for my install. I swapped transmissions on my last truck in my garage. It sucked without a lift and trans jack. I'd rather pay for that install than waste so much time again doing it myself.

A converter install in SIMPLE.  Just take your time, and do it right.

The short version:

1) Remove the driveshafts, drain ATF from trans and T-case

2) Remove all electrical connections on tcase and trans

3) Remove the transfer case (makes it much easier to wrestle trans around later)

4) Remove the trans cooler lines and shift linkage (is there even a shift linkage anymore??)

5) Unbolt the bellhousing fasteners

6) Slide the tranny back and off of the engine, and remove from truck.

7) Yank the old converter

8) Fill the new one with fluid

9) Re-install the converter, and make sure it's fully seated.

10) Reverse the steps

Save yourself the $$$ and use it on more mods...or fuel :banghead: .

Simple does not equal easy.

Wasted, I do know how to do a converter install, I was wondering what others have paid because my weekend time always seems to be to few and far between for a full afternoon project like this. Throw in a broken bolt, a messed up seal, or some other unforseen gremlin that always seems to pop it's head up, then I just spent a whole day on it.

Now if I can find someone to do it for 200 bucks, I'd be in. It's not worth a day of my time for that kind of cash. Even the 250 someone else mentioned I would take, but if it goes higher than that I'm going to be getting dirty myself.

Thanks guys! :cheers:

Archived