Back in OIF, again

RembaSS 1SG

• 3 weeks later...

Hello all, I thought about writing to all of you. However, my time online is very limited. All is well here in the mouth of Hell. No not really hell, as I hear it this is were life of religious bearing or another started. Babylon and all that.

Well my entire battalion is up here finally and we are firmly in control of our area. The Election to confirm the Constitution has come and gone. What a thrill that was. My Brigade has lost 4 (another 1SG and three soldiers), so far. Your prayers will be greatly appreciated. This is no way for anyone to die at the hands of cowards.

Many of us would rather meet on a field and fix bayonets and take our chances with fate than to drive down a road and have the road disappear in a ball of fire and shrapnel. That is why I call them cowards :withstupid: .

Wife comes over here in a few days. Fortunately, she is going to a much safer place- I hope.

To all of you out there. Know that this task we call ours is a task worth fighting for. It is no longer about the price of oil, or terrorism. It is about clearing the streets of thugs without the guts to face their maker like MEN. We soldiers take orders from those that give orders, period. Hopefully, that statement does not attract too much Anti-war sentiment :chillpill: . We are making a difference and the Elections on 15 DEC 2005 will be a start to an end. Besides I get a year older that day. Take care, you all.

Anyone wanting to talk. [email protected] is much easier to access. Stay safe MARINE SGT!

Mark- now an OPS Sergeant Major. But I will keep my SS Moniker all the same :flag:

• 11 months later...

A note of closure.

I returned from Baghdad on 25 SEP 06. My brother in law returned from Balad, as a Fight medic in 5 OCT 06, my wife is to return before Thanksgiving. As I have posted in the past, day one of our assumption of command of Southern Baghdad we lost four soldiers. Since then we lost 58 "Strike" soldiers, including the 2 MIA and unfortunately the rape/murder allegation is planted firmly on our Brigade. I must submit that the actions of a handful of men should not detract us from the good that a Brigade of 4,000 men and women accomplished. Unfortunately we lost three from my unit clearing roads of IEDs.

I personally continued on to train Iraqi soldiers the week of the Iraqi elections and started the first NCO course (similar to our PLDC) for Sergeants in Southern Baghdad/Mahmudiyah, helped rebuild a nonexistent NCO Corps and enabled an Iraqi Brigade to assume battle space. I had mortar rounds blow up my TOC as we were leaving for Lunch, 14 rocket attacks, 6 mortar attacks, a few IEDs and yet my highly trained soldiers received nothing more than a scratch. I sustained an embarrassingly lengthy ankle sprain/break for pushing a soldier into a safe area as a rocket impacted nearby. He ended up pulling me to the safe area as another impacted near us.

The best my soldiers did was to treat 9 detained Iraqi's after they lost a huge small arms battle. During a day that maxed at about 125 degrees, my soldiers, in 50-70 lbs of protective gear dealt with an ethical dilemma than none should ever have to witness. Detainees brought in under Iraqi Army control were not being treated medically. My soldiers, specifically a female SSG elected to treat these detainees. The Iraqi soldiers we taught for months did not do a thing. They had just lost 4 of their brothers and justifiably wanted these insurgents to die. My soldiers run on a different standard, my standard. They treated and evacuated 9 detainees, 4 were critical (we call them litter urgent), one ended up dieing while one of my soldiers guarded him on a aircraft. Those that survived gave up vital information that helped give up other insurgents. Bottonline: a live insurgent means intel; a dead one needs a body bag.

Thanks for letting me vent.

PS. I have finally been approved for retirement and will exit the Army around DEC 06 :cheers: . 21 years of tactical service to this country. Thank you all for your prayers. They obviously worked. :flag:

Top.

I have been to Iraq 2 times already and even though I'm Air Force and did 6 month rotations I do know what its like to be gone for an extinded amount of time. I have been here in Korea for the past 6 months and its been hard on me and my family. Stay safe and keep your head down when the shooting starts so you can come back to us. God Bless.

:chevy::flag::chevy:

:flag: AF VM, thank you for your comments.

I have also felt the pain and separation of being stationed in Korea. I spent three tours there from April of 90 thru APR 98. The math does not add up right for one soldier but I was that man. Most of my time spent on the DMZ, sometimes within borders of the North Korean border, with my current wife. Fortunately, she is a fabulous woman and became a Physician Assistant and I await her arrival from Baghdad, Iraq.

Archived