cant shake this cold

Anyone got any suggestions on how to get rid of this damn cold i got< i got alot of phlem, headaches, tired alot, but no puking, also alot of couching ive been taking dayquill and ny quill @ night, prevacid for my stomache. asprim for my headaches, and halls cough drops durring the day. just cant shake it people.

:withstupid: Take a shot of Vodka or Tequila to clear your phlem up... works wonders... just make sure it doesn't interact w/ any of the meds you're taking.

Then just drink a shit-load of water and rest... thats about all you can do w/ a bad cold.

Go to a doctor...if you have alot of phlegm you might have a sinus infection or bronchitis or even phneumonia and you need antibiotics! Then rest up, drink alot of fluids and make sure that you finish whatever prescription the doctor gives you...don't stop taking it just because you start feeling better :nono: ...listen to the doc!

BTW, I'm no doctor but I have alot of experience being sick :jester:

Dayquil and Nyquil won't do shit besides make you feel better at the moment. You need to start taking something that will fight the infection. You immune system is weak, you need to take vitamin c and or drink lots of orange juice. I take a GNC multi-vitamin called Mega Men, it works real well, I take two everday, and I have not been sick for around 8 months.

Phlem - Musinex (OTC expectorant, most bang for the buck, $$$)

Headache - Motrin (The dose is for a 180lb man, if you are under 250lbs - take 3, under 325 - take 4)

Coughing - Benylin (Yes, the kids stuff, take as needed)

Runny Nose - Affrin max strength

Seriously, you need something that is going to combat the infection. If it is microbial, a simple antibiotic (not gram or (non) aerobic specific) will hit the spot in about 3-5 days. I prefer Zythromax (tri-pac). Stay away from the "cure all" amoxicillin. If your "snot" or "phlem" is green, you may have a pseudomonas infection in your lungs. A good inhaled Tobramycin will solve that quick. The only way a doctor can really treat the infection is to get a throat culture or sputum culture and gram ID it, then match up the correct antibiotic to it. Most docs will not do that and just give the "cure all". If it is viral, antibiotics will do nothing. There is a whole line of drugs for that as well.

BTW, I studied Food Science and Pharmacy in school (6yrs) and have worked in the Pharmaceutical industry for 8 years.

GO TO THE DOC! :smash:

Alcohol lowers your immune system, and your ability to fight infections is decreased. Not to mention it sucks up a lot of your hydration, even in small amounts....so stay away from it while you're sick. If it's been awhile (ie over a week or two) and you're not better yet then you need to see a doctor, a normal cold doesn't last that long and you could have walking pneumonia or bronchitis, or god forbid, mono. Unfortunately everything doesn't go away on its own, especially if its bacteria related and not viral, so go get some help.

Oh yeah...listen to what the guy up there said about Amoxicillin, don't let them give that to you...it's been around so long and prescribed so much that it doesn't do much good for anything anymore. Also don't overdo it on the vitamins, your body can only absorb so much and the rest it discards, so it's just a waste.

Hope you feel better soon...and don't forget to eat your chicken soup, and have one of those Naked Juice Green Machines...nasty stuff, but REAL good for you. :D

Alcohol lowers your immune system, and your ability to fight infections is decreased.  Not to mention it sucks up a lot of your hydration, even in small amounts....so stay away from it while you're sick.  If it's been awhile (ie over a week or two) and you're not better yet then you need to see a doctor, a normal cold doesn't last that long and you could have walking pneumonia or bronchitis, or god forbid, mono.  Unfortunately everything doesn't go away on its own, especially if its bacteria related and not viral, so go get some help. 

Oh yeah...listen to what the guy up there said about Amoxicillin, don't let them give that to you...it's been around so long and prescribed so much that it doesn't do much good for anything anymore.  Also don't overdo it on the vitamins, your body can only absorb so much and the rest it discards, so it's just a waste.

Hope you feel better soon...and don't forget to eat your chicken soup, and have one of those Naked Juice Green Machines...nasty stuff, but REAL good for you. :D

You are soooo right on the alchohol part, it is just like Nyquil, it won't do shit but make you feel better at that time.

Archived