An "Experiment" I'm doing.

CoolBlueSS

Ok. I know everyone is probably beat down with gas prices, gas milage, threads, so I'm just gonna start another one. :crackup:

I'm sure alot of people on here have done what I'm doing, but don't know if anyone has checked to see any real improvement. So, for all those who are interested, here goes. I bought my truck a year ago with 21K miles on the clock. Fuel milage was 14.0-14.3 in mainly city driving. I have a 20 mile commute, and 15 of it is on a tollway/turnpike. So, there is some stop and go, but not a whole lot.

After about 8 months I switched to synthetic oil, Castrol Syntec 10w30. Afetr about two tanks the milage went up. It has now peaked at 15.3-15.5 with no other changes. The oil cost twice as much, but I figure it can go twice as far between changes, and with a 1.3-1.5 increase in fuel milage that should offset the cost.

Yesterday I put in a K&N air filter, and the truck seems to be more responsive. I'm going to see what increase I get from that on my way to the next mod. Hopefully exhaust, headers, and tune. :thumbs:

Bed covers give you a varied response. I've had them on the two previous trucks and it helped on one, but didn't do anything on the other. The bad thing to do without one though, is drive with your tailgate down. It has been proven that running with your tailgate down actually creates more drag.

Synthetic oil should show some improvement. I know Amsoil claims about a 5% increase.

a tune will def help the most, when i had my tune and CAI in I was getting 14 city driving hard on it and upwards to 16 if i babied it occasionally but that never laster. I am now back to stock, sold my intake and sent my PCM back to get re-tuned and I'm getting 12mpg's normal driving. I dont know why my truck is so bad but it is. I cant wait till i get my PCM back so this nonsence will stop

And if you don't already have one, a tonneau cover will provide a noticeable MPG increase also.

I do want a bed cover, for more resons than milage, but that mwould be a nice benefit also.

I know this is stuff that alot of us do to our vehicles, but who really pays attention to what increases it gives. I've used K&N for years along with tons of other products on many different cars/trucks, and I've taken for granted that they will increase performance and efficiency. This time I'm checking as I go, if nothing else to satisfy my own curiosity.

The best way I have found to improve mileage is to take it real easy on the accelerator. I have a boost/vacuum gauge, and if I keep things below 10 inches of vacuum, mileage improves quite a bit. But it is downright painful doing that. You have to loose speed going up minor hills and gain it back on the down hill side. Accelerating up to speed on the freeway takes a looong time. Eventually, I blow the average with a full throttle run, but hey, that is what the SS is for :D

The best way I have found to improve mileage is to take it real easy on the accelerator.  I have a boost/vacuum gauge, and if I keep things below 10 inches of vacuum, mileage improves quite a bit.  But it is downright painful doing that.  You have to loose speed going up minor hills and gain it back on the down hill side.  Accelerating up to speed on the freeway takes a looong time.  Eventually, I blow the average with a full throttle run, but hey, that is what the SS is for :D

i thought engine vacuum goes down with more rpm. Thats why a lesser power valve will open later in a carb. Is this right?

Vacuum depends on the throttle position too. The engine sucks, and the throttle... well, it throttles :D Engine vacuum (and boost too) are read between the engine and throttle. Throttle nearly closed, with high Rpm will give lots of vacuum. Throttle wide open, with low Rpm will give very little vacuum (or boost, if supercharged).

i get over 20 mpg if i go the right speed, if i didnt have the tb converter i would easily get 22 mpg on the highway

Your in dash display might be telling you your getting 20, but at 55 plus I doubt youll ever see that pump to pump. Depending on who and how your tune was done can throw the ecm off on your instant and average mileage. And the TB converter shouldn't cost you any mpg on the highway, unless your lockup fails.

BTW nice looking truck.. and the fastest color too

And if you don't already have one, a tonneau cover will provide a noticeable MPG increase also.

I do want a bed cover, for more resons than milage, but that mwould be a nice benefit also.

I know this is stuff that alot of us do to our vehicles, but who really pays attention to what increases it gives. I've used K&N for years along with tons of other products on many different cars/trucks, and I've taken for granted that they will increase performance and efficiency. This time I'm checking as I go, if nothing else to satisfy my own curiosity.

Yeah, my Extang RT cover didn't really seem to do to much, a little maybe. I did synthetics, the K&N and the cover all at once and I went from 12 city when I bought it to about 14 city and from 15 highway to about 17-18 depending on speed. I seem to get 17.5 at around 70 MPH. But heavy throttle romps occur frequently, I can't help it... That is what the truck was meant to do! :thumbs:

i get over 20 mpg if i go the right speed, if i didnt have the tb converter i would easily get 22 mpg on the highway

Your in dash display might be telling you your getting 20, but at 55 plus I doubt youll ever see that pump to pump. Depending on who and how your tune was done can throw the ecm off on your instant and average mileage. And the TB converter shouldn't cost you any mpg on the highway, unless your lockup fails.

BTW nice looking truck.. and the fastest color too

I also check mine from pump to pump, and it's usually pretty close. Only off by a couple of tenths.

Archived