How do I disconnect the heated seats?

Lee

Lee,

Disconnecting the Green two wire (one black, one brown) connector located under the inboard side of each seat will result in the seat module seeing an open circuit in the seat cushion element circuit resulting the following from the GM Service Manual.

Conditions for Setting the DTC

The driver seat module determines by monitoring the heater element control circuits that a short to voltage, short to ground, or open condition exists.

Action Taken When the DTC Sets

The heated seat with a current status DTC will be disabled.

Both heated seats may be disabled.

When the fault is no longer present a history status DTC will be stored, and heated seat operation will be restored.

As you can see, the seat computer monitors and controls the seat heaters. Disconnecting the single green connector (image of under inboard side of my passenger seat, driver seat similar under inboard side) under the seat of both driver and passenger seats should disable all four seat heater elements due to "Action Taken" statement in GM service manual. CAUTION!! disconnecting these connectors will set DTC's in seat module computer.

SSseat.jpg

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Lee, your back side getting a little warm! Bring it to me I've got a brand new pair of wire cutters sitting here and between the two of OLD fellows we should be able to figure out what wires to cut. :jester: Hope you get it figured out! :cheers:

Thanks, guys. Unfortunately disconnecting anything that will disable other functions like the memory seat are not worth it. I'd be losing more than I've gained.

Michael,

Thanks for the suggestion and picture (especially the picture). I found the green connector but so far have done nothing. Disconnecting it to disable both seats looks like a bo brainer. What concerned me was the statement:

CAUTION!! disconnecting these connectors will set DTC's in seat module computer
Unfortunately, I don't understand the statement "will set the DTC's in seat module computer." Will disabling that connector affect any other functions in the truck? Thanks Michael.

Dale,

I'm on my way. I like new wire cutters MUCH better than old ones. It'll be worth the drive. :thumbs:

Edited by Lee (see edit history)

Lee,

Unfortunately, I don't understand the statement "will set the DTC's in seat module computer." Will disabling that connector affect any other functions in the truck? Thanks Michael.

According to the published documentation in the GM Service manual, no functions except the "heated seats" would be affected by disconnecting the above connector. A Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) will be stored in the seat module and when a technician scans this computer it will show a DTC for seat heater circuit failure.

If you decide to disconnect this connector....after doing so, check the seat back heater operation by attempting to turn on the heater. If my understanding of the GM diagnostics are correct, the seat back heaters will not function as described in the "Action Taken" in my earlier post. This will prevent you from having also to disconnect the seat back heater element connector.

As for myself, I am looking forward to being able to use the heated seats this Winter.

Edited by mcwarren (see edit history)

A Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) will be stored in the seat module...

I am not sure I want any codes stored in my seat module :jester:

Geez there is a whole computer just for the seats? :crazy: I need to get a service manual one of these days. Not having a wiring diagram is bugging me.

Michael,

Thanks. I'll disconnect the green "thingy" and test it out. I appreciate all your help, buddy. :cool:

Zip-man,

Thanks for the heads-up on any "fixs." I didn't know GM was aware that this was even a problem. I'll look for your follow-up on that. Thanks for taking the time to do that. :thumbs:

A Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) will be stored in the seat module...

I am not sure I want any codes stored in my seat module :jester:

Geez there is a whole computer just for the seats? :crazy: I need to get a service manual one of these days. Not having a wiring diagram is bugging me.

Is there a service manual for this particular truck yet? I want one!