Q's on tuning software

fordsareslow

I did a search on here, and looked around both hptuners and efi lives websites and need some info cleared up. First off, I am in the market for some software and a buddy of mine wants to get some too, so we were thinking of going in half's and buying a program and keeping it on my laptop. Which program is better for our wants. His truck is an 01 Sierra mine is an 04 Silverado. If I were to also tune my Dads 04 Sierra, would I also need to buy an extra license? If I were to tune a couple 04 and 01 trucks only, could I get away with just 2 licenses, or would I need one for every truck I did? From what I have read on the forums on hptuners, 1 license for 04 silverado/sierra will work for all 04 silverado's./sierra's. Or am I wrong. I am a little confused about this kind of info. I don't mind buying the extra licenses, but what is cheaper in the long run. And HPtuers does not give free upgrades and EFILive does, or do i have this backwards? Sorry, I know this may sound a little confussing and there are alot of questions, but I am just a little confused. Thanks.

That info can be found on their websites. How many licenses you get will vary on what level of purchase you want to get, but I think both come with at least two.

I like Flashscan personally, especially with lifetime updates. If you want to swap tunes with someone that has one or the other, you may want to get the software they have.

• 4 weeks later...

Flashscan, depending on your version, only gives two licenses with the basic setup. That means two vehicles. Lifetime free upgrades in software is included and can do wideband tuning with it.

As for HPT, that info is on their website - you guys need to go to the site yourselves.

I found the info. I didn't know what I was looking at, at first. With HPT you get 2 licenses for any years vehicles. I orderd mine with a friend and got one for and 04 silverado/sierra and one for a 01 silverado/sierra. With the 2 lic. I can tune any 04 and 01 silverado/sierra and do mult. tunes. Not limited to only 1 of each. But it will only work one those years and types. It will not work w/ tahoes or sub. or anything else. My sug. would be to go in 1/2's with someone. I am going to be having the program on my laptop, and it should be here next week.

Here is the link to HPT's web site for anyone interested in more info. HPT

BTW: Did anyone who has this order the Enhanced IO Interface w/ it? Not exactly sure if I should have spent the extra $150 for it or not.

Here is a thread with a lot in info about the cost and differences between HPT and EFILive.HPT vs. EFILive I my self am PARTIAL to EFILive, for a couple of reasons. If I have buddy with a car/ truck that wants some help with tuning it only cost $99 to help him. Doesn't mater if I happen to have the year and model and doesn't cost $2-400 to add it. And I tune a few boosted vehicles and I like not having to shell out $200 for each one I want to tune.

If you go with HPT DEFIANTLY worth it to get it with the IO cable. Its a must for using it with a wideband, which is the best was to get the most out of your tune.

Archived