transmission fluid low

My truck started to stall on the shift from second to third. The RPM would shoot up ,then it would shift. I pulled over and checked my fluid. I found out it was 1 quart low so i filled it back up. I have 21000 on my truck and can not find any leak anywhere. is it normal to lose a quart of tran fluid after 21000 miles. How can fluid just disapper with out a trace? is this normal or should I worry? I have no mods to my truck and its a 03 with a 6.0. i dont really drive it hard. Anyone got any ideas?? :driving:

My truck started to stall on the shift from second to third. The RPM would shoot up ,then it would shift. I pulled over and checked my fluid. I found out it was 1 quart low so i filled it back up. I have 21000 on my truck and can not find any leak anywhere. is it normal to lose a quart of tran fluid after 21000 miles.  How can fluid just disapper with out a trace? is this normal or should I worry? I have no mods to my truck and its a 03 with a 6.0. i dont really drive it hard. Anyone got any ideas?? :driving:

No, not normal.

It is possible it was shipped a little low. Is that the first time you have checked it? @21k miles? I hope you check your oil before your engine starts to run a little funny. :happysad: Not the best practice. Should check it about every 3-4 tanks - just a suggestion. Or, every time you change your oil.

Also, I'm sure you know, but make sure it is running and the fluid is warm before you check the level.

Have you checked the rear seal? Where the driveshaft connects?

My truck started to stall on the shift from second to third. The RPM would shoot up ,then it would shift. I pulled over and checked my fluid. I found out it was 1 quart low so i filled it back up. I have 21000 on my truck and can not find any leak anywhere. is it normal to lose a quart of tran fluid after 21000 miles.  How can fluid just disapper with out a trace? is this normal or should I worry? I have no mods to my truck and its a 03 with a 6.0. i dont really drive it hard. Anyone got any ideas?? :driving:

No, not normal.

It is possible it was shipped a little low. Is that the first time you have checked it? @21k miles? I hope you check your oil before your engine starts to run a little funny. :happysad: Not the best practice. Should check it about every 3-4 tanks - just a suggestion. Or, every time you change your oil.

Also, I'm sure you know, but make sure it is running and the fluid is warm before you check the level.

Have you checked the rear seal? Where the driveshaft connects?

Yes i do practice all the above but I just bought this truck. When i inspected it before I bought it I went over everthing but the trans fluid level. With so little mileage and with no evadence of any fluid leaking I just forgot to check the trans fluid. Even when this happened I smelt the fluid and it looked very clean. I inspected today for leaks again and dont see anything. I guess I will have to keep a eye on it and see what happens. I did read uo on the manual and checked it just like the manual suggested. Thanks for the reply and hopefully it might have come from the previous owner not putting enough fluid in when he had it serviced. .

Archived