Windsheild Trouble

jchitwo

I posted on gm trucks but had no hits i figured some of you here might be able to help. I replaced the gasket on the windsheild of my 78' chevy pickup. well needless to say I'm having the toughest time figurin out how to put the thing back in. It just doesn't want to fit into the new gasket. do any of you have any experience with this and can you give me some pointers and tips to get this thing in. I put the back window in ok it was a piece of cake but that darn windshield :banghead: thankx in advance.

Jesse

....hopefully I can shed some light on this one...

First, does the new gasket that you got have a center lace strip in it (a lot of them had chrome one on it....that is helpful to know...

1. the gasket goes on the BODY, not the glass first. you will need to make sure that it is held on the pinchweld either by tape or some type of sealer (flow grade butyl works really well).

2. make sure the rubber is 'unzipped' - make sure that any center lace or zip rubber is released from the center outer face of the moulding.

3. apply lubricant (insert joke here....). we use a special lube here at our glass shop, but a soap will work pretty good. Don't be afraid to use quite a bit. You want the lubricant on both the inside of the rubber AND the face (which comes into play in the next step)

4. this is where the practice comes into play. Slide the glass into the lower rubber, and use something plastic to run the rest of the rubber around the glass. this is where the lubricant comes into play, because you will be pulling the lip of the rubber over the glass. You need to apply a LIGHT amount of pressure to the glass inward to get it to set properly into the rubber.

5. once the glass is in...you need to clean between the glass and rubber on the glass face. We always seal our w/s on the outer lip, so this is why it is necessary to clean all of the lubricant from the glass/rubber.

6. after everything is clean and the sealant is applied, you need to either 'zip' the rubber or put the insert into the rubber (again, a little lubricant in the insert goove is helpful). If you have a chrome center lace, put your lower center cap on, and you are done (well, except for the whole cleaning thing....or if you have the antenna in the w/s you just have to hook that up....as simple as snapping a button!).

I wish I had one in the shop or I would have taken you throught it step by step via pictures. I will see if I have my camera here at work and I will take a few pics of the stuff I talked about. If you have more questions, let me know!

Rob

OK, here are some quick pics...

This one shows the 'plastic tool' that I talked about that we use to pull the rubber around the glass. It also shows the proper tool that inserts the center lace.

MVC-021F.jpg

Here is the lace tool again, but showing how it stretches the rubber and pushes in the lace strip from the back....

MVC-022F.jpg

Rob

Thanks soo much for the help.... I do have both the tools you show there I guess I'm a novice at this... when I worked for an autoglass company about 6 yrs ago I was fortunate never to have to work on a truck like mine.... mostly the glued in windshields and crack fixes.....I'll work that this evening when I get home and let you know how it turned out. Again thanks.

Jesse

This is maybe a dumb question, but you did take the chrome strip out of the gasket, it wedges the gasket out and seals it to the windshield and the truck. I have always popped that strip out, then you can remove or install a gasket pretty easy. Don't forget the liquid soap trick, or a piece of waxed string laid in the channel. You set the glass and pull the string out as an assistant gently pushes in on the glass. Good luck.

Dave

Archived