cam size for a 427?

2bseen

What cam size do you recommend for a 427 ci 11.5 to 1 comp motor? Also will my 43# injectors be big enought or will I need bigger. I have been thinking of using the cam that I have now but dont know. It is something like a 238/242 596/602 113 I may be off just alittle but close to that.

A few i'd recomend:

XER287HR fromComp Cams

FM1-RJ-111 from Futral Motorsports

99-T-ReX v.2 from Thunder Racing

HR-236/353-2-14 4A from Crane

I think the T-Rex may be closer to what you're looking for. It was designed around a 5.7L, but would probably work very well in your 7.0L setup with your heads. I would recomend considering a swap to the 1.8 ratio rockers though to get some more lift in there. 427 cubes is alot to feed and the only way you're going to get the track numbers that you're looking for is to spin it to around 6500-6800 or so. Your also going to want a pretty good intake/exhaust split for the nitrous.

LS7 stock head flow numbers

LS7 cam results stock

What cam size do you recommend for a 427 ci 11.5 to 1 comp motor?  Also will my 43# injectors be big enought or will I need bigger.  I have been thinking of using the cam that I have now but dont know.  It is something like a 238/242 596/602 113  I may be off just alittle but close to that.

I used a 244 612 @ 112 in a naturally asprirated 427 i had MTI build for me in that i put into my brothers trans am. dynoed 552 at the wheels. daily driven everywhere, so if you don't mind your truck vibrating a lot i'd go bigger.

Are you goign to use a blower/ turbo with it?

I can feel the truck vibrating under me now with those cams. :driving: No different in mine though.

Personally, I like the FMS one. You can also call and get a personal rec from Allan Futral for your particular setup. Not a big fan of Crane, but that one looks pretty cool.

I know that Jeff found he was running out of air on his 427 and went to the FAST 90mm setup, do you plan to do the same? It would work well with a direct port inject for N2O - made for that in fact.

Are you running out of injector now? If you are, then I would suspect you'd need to go up some. If you're not that close, I wouldn't worry about it right now. Once you are to the larger style injector setup (not sure if you already are), it's a 30min install to change to different ones. Maybe a 48 or 50lb?

Archived