How to change transmission fluid?

All,

I was wondering if any of you know how to service the transmission on the SS. It is my understanding that the tranny is connected to the radiator and needs to be flushed with some pressurized device?

Looking to see if the job would be an easy do it yourself project or if I should let a shop do it?

Thanks

When you drop the trans pan and change the filter you only get part of the old fluid. To get all the fluid out of the trans cooler lines and torque converter, you must flush it. The transmission uses 13 qts of fluid to flush or only 5 or 6 to change via the pan. See what I mean?

Also, if your trans has some miles on it, a flush is the only way to go because they pump a solvent throught the trans under pressure to remove any varnish and broken down or burnt trans fluid.

I'm only at 11,000 miles, but I'm getting ready to take my SS in for a flush and filter change. Usually when they flush the trans they don't drop the pan but I'm switching over to Mobil 1 Synthetic AT fluid and want a new filter in there.

I'm also doing the front and rear differential and transfer case. Mobil 1 75W-90 in both diffs and Mobil 1 ATF in the transfer case. Supposed to really drop temps and smooth up the driveline.

Another really good synthetic is Royal Purple Max Gear and Max ATF. Actually makes horsepower by reducing friction! Check it out at www.royalpurple.com

When you drop the trans pan and change the filter you only get part of the old fluid. To get all the fluid out of the trans cooler lines and torque converter, you must flush it. The transmission uses 13 qts of fluid to flush or only 5 or 6 to change via the pan. See what I mean?

Also, if your trans has some miles on it, a flush is the only way to go because they pump a solvent throught the trans under pressure to remove any varnish and broken down or burnt trans fluid.

I'm only at 11,000 miles, but I'm getting ready to take my SS in for a flush and filter change. Usually when they flush the trans they don't drop the pan but I'm switching over to Mobil 1 Synthetic AT fluid and want a new filter in there.

I'm also doing the front and rear differential and transfer case. Mobil 1 75W-90 in both diffs and Mobil 1 ATF in the transfer case. Supposed to really drop temps and smooth up the driveline.

Another really good synthetic is Royal Purple Max Gear and Max ATF. Actually makes horsepower by reducing friction! Check it out at www.royalpurple.com

Thanks SuperDave. I am probably going to get the whole tranny flushed with Amsoil. Will also be doing the fron/rear diff and Transfer case. I got quoted $120 for a full tranny flush from Jiffy Lube. That was including fluids and all. I'm going to be bringing my own fluid and perhaps get a lower price.

Archived