Temporary CAI

SS_bnoon_SS

When I get my electric fans installed sometime later this spring/summer, I'll make a custom full CAI and heat shield, but this will do for now. I used one of the mandrel bends that I bought for the CAI I'll build later and a couple of rubber connectors that I had from a previous CAI experiment (I'll use 3.5" silicone couplers for the final version). The filter is a 12" long S&B powerstack from EBay for $22 shipped new.

I also made a velocity stack since I couldn't find one locally in the 6.25" to 3.5" size that I wanted to use. I cut a small length of 3.5" pipe, welded on a 6.25" circle, then used Pi x R squared to figure circumference and trimmed, then rolled a 2" wide strip to make the 6.25" diameter pipe for the filter to bolt to. I stretched a T-shirt around the 6.25" side, held in place with a worm clamp, then pushed it down into the 3.5" side using a circle of wood 3.25" in diameter (from a hole saw)... then coated it with fiberglass resin... confusing in words, I know... anyway, here are the pics...

filteradapter1.jpg

filteradapter3.jpg

filteradapter4.jpg

filterandbend.jpg

sscai1.jpg

sscai2.jpg

It's a nice seat of the pants gain, especially above 3500 RPMs. It's like there's a secondary system that kicks in... :thumbs:

Nice work, but you left probably the most restrictive part of the stock system in place over the fan shroud... you should open that up with another peice of tubing IMO.

That's the part that is "temporary" about this setup. I can't fit the bend I want to use at the throttle body until I get rid of the clutch fan and shroud when I install the LS1 fans (sitting in the garage). I could have ordered a sharper radius mandrel bend to fit it now, but that defeats the purpose of replacing the sharp bend of the stock plastic piece IMO. It will be welded and powder coated when it's clear for the permanent CAI... :thumbs:

Archived