Stock Radio Or Upgrade?

What would you honestly do... I have seen how to add a amp/sub to stock radio, but does it really make a diffrence? The max volume sucks as it is, I got better sound off my old Focus. :( If not, should I just go a whole new route, and get a whole new kit installed... if so what brand do you suggest, I was thinking more of Xpliods b/c they seem cheaper ;\.

Anyone know a price range that's done a complete head unit, speaker install, amp, sub, etc.

Thanks in advance.

i love the sound of a system, but when you go to a new head unit you cant keep the stock controls( you can but its with a wireless remote) i want to do this but i tend to spend money on go fast goodies instead. i also like the fact that i already have a 6disc in dash changer and xm, for me to keep those feature with an aftermarket hu, would be expensive.

As for what company i would go with . i would go with alpine or eclipse for the head unit( some of the best you can get) and spend more money on the component speakers because that where alot fo your sound comes from. (focal,cdt,image dynamics,etc) as for subs i would do something nice (probably w7) but with the right enclosure you can make anything sound good. high quality amps would also be a must for me. IT just depends what you want it to sound like and how much your willing to spend.

As for adding speakers to the stock unit which is the route i would go, jl audio makes something called the cleansweep, which is supposdly really nice . its where you can add speakers to the stock hu, it also has an aux input which is cool.You can decent sound out of the stock speakers if you amp them.

Im am currentyl doing a little radio system in my beater, which im trying to be as cheap as possible, it includes a decent pioneer hu, infinity door speakers and maybe a single 10-12. im not going to spend more than 500 for the beater. if you keep your eye out for stuff on ebay you can piece together a great system for pretty cheap!

Right now, I got rid of XM and just that Sirius RCVR that looks like a Radar Detector, and it mounts on the top left hand window. :) I get better signal from the Sirius SATS compared to the XM, plus I work for Dish Network, so mmm... maybe that's why.

I sort of want to keep it stock looking, I don't want to go through all that hassle, yet... you do if you want a good system. How does it sounds with the PAC thing? Does it make it sound any bit louder?

So bah'... So I'm better off doing a full system upgrade, doesn't that lower the trade-in value of the truck? Curious, if so... can you give me a little price range, so I know how much over time to do, lol :P

Depends; if it looks like a amateur hack job then yes, you will loose value. If it looks professional and works like OEM then you will retain vehicle value. If it is a full-blown show-quality install your vehicle retail might increase a bit but not all that much, maybe just a fraction of your investment - it's not uncommon for dealers to say 'ok I'll credit you another $250 trade-in value for your Alpine CD-player and subwoofer' regardless of cost (exception: you might do better recouping the cost of a on-board DVD system or navigation system).

Mr. P. :)

I've had my stock head unit with the PAC adapter (sub hook up) along with an Alpine sound processor in my truck for a while and have never had a complaint. It's nice since it all looks stock from the outside. The only thing you see is the box under the back seat, but that is only if you open the back doors. I would highly recommend this set up to anyone not looking to spend an arm and a leg on audio equipment, but want some quality sounding bass added to an already nice sounding Bose system. :thumbs:

HERE IS MY SET UP THREAD!

Late- Alex

I've also done the pac thing to add an amp and two 10" subs and it sounds great. I bought the subs off eBay(MTX 8000 series-$120 for both shipped). I also got the kenwood amp off eBay(900 watts-$200 or so shipped) along with the sub box($90 or so). I've had bigger systems but this works great for my SS. It looks all stock since I've still got the stock head unit. I say skip the total system unless you really want a custom setup. I'm spending my cash on gofastashell mods lol :D

my full bown system that I wanted to do as cheap as possible with what we sell @ my workplace cost me around $1,000

JVC HU (kdar860) (I know what you're thinking but I wanted a HU that didn't have knowbs so it'd match the EQ...all buttons)

Pioneer 15 band EQ (deq7400)

one MTX amp for subs (TA7801)

one infinity amp for component set and other speaker pair (7541a amp ..6010cs / 4612cf)

8 8"s of some cheap ass speakers, Pryamid (but the right enclosure and when I pull up or drive by people say, "you're kidding...8s...$11 a piece?")

of course oak mdf wood wood stain and wiring...distro block for 0 gauge....optima yellow top battery ...etc etc

audio.jpg

Subs_001.sized.jpg

HU.sized.jpg

battery.sized.jpg

there are two differnt piece's one for aux inputs and one for rca outs. and yes you can retain the stock wheel controls, but all it is , is an after market remote that is wired into your wheel controls and is placed somewhere in operating range of the h/u. so it has a slight pause when you seek up or down!

Archived