know nothing about tuning

firervfd37

i was wondering if the only thing i had done to my vortec max was a corsa sport and cai would it be worth it to get someone to do a custom tune for me? if so how much more h/p and torque could be expected? i know nothing about this stuff. thanks

I have the same thing goin on. I just bought my 06 VHO, I love it!! Thinkin about putting a corsa on it (can't decide between sport or touring) also I'm goin to put a CAI on it (can't decide between K&N or Volant) :banghead: But I have no idea what the tuning is or even does? I used to have a hypertech power prgrammer on my old truck, is tuning it the same thing? Do I need to take it to a shop to do it? Thanks guys

I have the same thing goin on. I just bought my 06 VHO, I love it!! Thinkin about putting a corsa on it (can't decide between sport or touring) also I'm goin to put a CAI on it (can't decide between K&N or Volant)  :banghead:  But I have no idea what the tuning is or even does? I used to have a hypertech power prgrammer on my old truck, is tuning it the same thing? Do I need to take it to a shop to do it? Thanks guys

Unless you have tuning software you have to send the programmer your trucks computer(ECU/PCU whatever you call it)

Does it cost alot? I couldn't do that because I need to drive my truck..

Get ahold of Zippy or Brian at PCMforless. Tell them what you want to do. They will reprogram another computer for you and mail it to you. It takes about ten minutes to install it in your vehicle. Mail your old computer back for credit. Brian gets $250 plus mailing. Way better than a handheld (I've had 3 handhelds). Good luck.

If you want to buy the tunning software expect to pay around $700. This is what I did. I'm having zippy do my tuning and just emailing the tune to me and I load it. It pretty simple and zippy's charge for tunning is super low. PM zippy for details. There is a pcm relearn process if you have a pcm shipped to you already tunned. I didn't want to deal with that plus any updates, you have to do the same thing. Lots of option when it comes to tunning.

Thunder, why didn't you have the pre-tuned chip sent to you for a couple hundred instaed of paying $700 fo the software? Is horsepower gains the main benefit of getting this done?

I want to learn how to tune plus the convenience. Yes. I would say tuners like zippy can add 25-50HP. Not sure what the avg gain is but it's the best mod for the money.

Damn thats alot of hp for alittle money!! Does it overide the gov and change shift points and stuff like the handheld? So let me get this straight. He sends me in the mail a pre-tuned chip according to the mods I tell him I've done. This gives me 25-50HP and it just clips right in. Then I mail my old chip to him and get money back?

Archived