Steering shaft

Jonmalibuss

Well I changed the oil today in the VHO and decided to try and fix that damn steering clunk so I pulled the entire steering shaft out which is 2 pieces and found nothing wrong with the piece that meets the steering box. I then removed the part that goes throught the rubber boot to the bottom of the steering column under the dash. What I found with that is that piece is splined together and you can't get it apart well easily any ways because the end of the splines are kinda pinched over so it won't come apart. It looked like they used lithium grease which I just happened to have some so I cleaned all the grease that was there off and packed the entire shaft from one end completely full of grease which wasn't easy, I then tried to hold the grease in while moving the shaft to get the grease on the splined area. I then only cleaned off the extra grease any that could stay in the shaft stayed. In side the rubber boot is a plastic sleve of sorts about 2" long and 1 1/4 around. There are two lips at either end of this sleve and in between the lips is like a washer which has an even smaller ID and the washer kinda just floats in between the two lips. What I noticed with this part is that it looked as if GM put a little bit of lithium grease in these areas but not very much at all, and this is the only piece in the entire steering shaft assembly that I could get to simulate the clunking/vibration I was getting. I cleaned this piece and packed the ends and the center with lithium grease. I also had a rubbery squeak that bugged me since I got the truck well I noticed that the shaft was rubbing on the rubber boot a bit so I smeared some grease where it was rubbing. A note though if you decide to try this you will need some superglue because the boot is two pieces which is superglued together from the factory and the only way to get to the plastic sleve is to take the two pieces of the boot apart. I now don't have any vibrations or squeaks. I also geased the entire front suspention and the truck feels very tight again! I know I should have taken pics but it was kind of a messy job with the grease.

Good fix! Actually, the GM kit comes with a syringe full of grease and a rubber plug. You fill the tube with grease, then put the plug in the end and then work the shaft in and out to force the grease into it. A word of caution to anyone when removing the steering shaft: be sure to not allow the steering wheel to turn while you have the shaft out. If it does, it becomes uncentered and can destroy the SIR coil, which is wound kinda like a clockspring. Randy

Mine is just starting the dreadeed "clunk" so I've been studying the issue. So, if I'm understanding this correctly, you have to remove the steering shaft from the vehicle, lube it, and then reinstall it. And from what I've read some people have had their's greased or replaced several times. Borgeson makes a replacement shaft that is suppose to cure the problem permanently for $187.99.

So, I guess my question is, how much of a job is doing the re-grease procedure, or would it be more time & cost effective to buy the Borgeson and doing it once and forgetting about itl?

Mine is just starting the dreadeed "clunk" so I've been studying the issue. So, if I'm understanding this correctly, you have to remove the steering shaft from the vehicle, lube it, and then reinstall it. And from what I've read some people have had their's greased or replaced several times. Borgeson makes a replacement shaft that is suppose to cure the problem permanently for $187.99.

So, I guess my question is, how much of a job is doing the re-grease procedure, or would it be more time & cost effective to buy the Borgeson and doing it once and forgetting about itl?

It's not hard to remove.

Archived