C.A.I. modification

cadillacbob

Hello fellow ssers'!

I installed my Outlaw CAI not too long ago and I am wondering if I should remove the 'extra' sheet metal on the right fender...Seeing as the factory only left 2 slots, would this improve my h.p?...or is the intake duct drawing air from the bottom good enough?...Or will I just make more noise?...Does anyone have the tech line number from Outlaw?...Tried to look it up, can't find it...

I think too much!!! LOL

Thanks in advance!

boB (i spell it backwards!!! LOL)

I wouldn't do it. I doubt the gains would justify it IMO. CAI just aren't worth that much trouble as they don't provide much HP for the price. If yuo've got a ram air tube hook it up and that should provide enough air. I used the volant ram air tube to go with my outlaw CAI. :thumbs:

...I cut up my fender and fiberglassed it to the updated Volant box. I used fiberglass down the fender to in front of the wheel. You can't see it and I now KNOW it is sucking in cooler outside air as this is the only inlet for the intake. By doing so I believe I now have a lower preddure drop across the filter. (anyone remember the CHP video with the old Volant box?). While I was at it I got rid of the thin filter lid and made a new lid of twill carbon fiber.

Did it do anything?,...Up for debate. One thing for sure though, it isn't sucking hot underhood air.

I cut mine in this and the last truck. They did the same thing in a Sport Truck magazine a few years back and gained nearly 5 hp. For five minutes of work, it's worth it. Cut it neatly and depending on the intake you use, you may never even see it.

I cut mine in this and the last truck.  They did the same thing in a Sport Truck magazine a few years back and gained nearly 5 hp.  For five minutes of work, it's worth it.  Cut it neatly and depending on the intake you use, you may never even see it.

Did you notice an increased amout of dirt/debris in the box after doing that Ben?

I cut mine in this and the last truck.  They did the same thing in a Sport Truck magazine a few years back and gained nearly 5 hp.  For five minutes of work, it's worth it.  Cut it neatly and depending on the intake you use, you may never even see it.

Did you notice an increased amout of dirt/debris in the box after doing that Ben?

No more than usual. I even have a tube going to the lower opening.

I called OUTLAW Saturday and talked to one of their engineers for 20 minutes or so...

In a nutshell, he told me cutting the 'excess' sheetmetal on the right inner fender would probably yeild no extra performance...He said they have no way to prove it would gain anything on a naturally aspirated motor...And our motors cant really flow more air than the CAI can already...I appreciated his honesty...I also asked about adding a 'ram air tube'...Same answer...no dyno results to prove anything...In fact he asked me to get back to him when I check this tube out at the track later this month...I will make several runs with and without the tube...and get back to all of you with my results...

...I will make several runs with and without the tube...and get back to all of you with my results...

I would really like to see the results, this ought to be interesting.

Mr. P. :)

I just opened up my stock airbox a bit and added a ram-air tube and it seems to have quicker response, it still pulls hard but that is thanks to zippy not the ram-air :crazy:

I think is a fine line between a bigger hole and rmoving the bottom half of the air box. I cut a small 3" circle, while the ram air tube is 4", I told my self I could make it bigger if I have to :dunno:

Air-flow is amazing, I wish I had a wind tunnel and a flow bench to see how the air acts inside the box, at highway speeds, how ram-air changes the stock air path???

Archived