Zaino vs Old school competition

Well I have a question that has been haunting my dreams lately ... ( well not really ) ....

Dawn removes wax ... but does it remove the acrylic sealers ... ie Zaino and Der Stuff ....

I have only used Der Stuff ... not Zaino ... and I was wondering if I need to strip it down or can I just keep putting layer on layer over the years?

Well I have a question that has been haunting my dreams lately ... ( well not really ) ....

Dawn removes wax ... but does it remove the acrylic sealers ... ie Zaino and Der Stuff ....

I have only used Der Stuff ... not Zaino ... and I was wondering if I need to strip it down or can I just keep putting layer on layer over the years?

According to Zaino Bros: yes, a stout mix of original Dawn dishwashing detergent will strip everything right down to the clearcoat, as Dawn is very alkaline (it is as alkaline as vineagar is acidic). This is why Zaino makes its own car wash soap, it is ph-balanced and will not affect these acrylics so that you can just keep adding another touch-up layer every 2nd or 3rd wash.

Mr. P.

Were supposed to have the vehicles finished for the weekly cruise night in Des Moines, which will be next Weds. I was planning on starting on the truck this weekend.

Is there any problem with doing, say the box of the truck this weekend then the other half Weds morning sometime? Other than if I were to splash some of the Dawn soap while I was washing the cab, would be the only thing I can think of.

Otherwise I could do it Weds, but im afraid I'll run out of time...Also I have a high speed buffer still, along with a hand orbital. Im thinking the finish on the truck is pretty good right now, not big scratches to speak of. Just the spider webs on the hood and very little on the sides. So maybe I'll run the orbital over it once before I start the whole process with some finess-It, or I think I've got some Meguiars Scratch-X and Swirl remover...Or should I just go ahead and do the high speed buffer on it, just adjust the RPM's a little lower :dunno:

sorry to hi jack the how to but here is another guy from another forum i frequent he is the master of detailing, although he doesent use zaino he has amazing step by step /how to and some good places to buy products!

melncal detailing

sorry to hi jack the how to but here is another guy from another forum i frequent he is the master of detailing, although he doesent use zaino he has amazing step by step /how to and some good places to buy products!

melncal detailing

By all means hijack away! :thumbs: I'm certainly no professional detailer, just sharing what I do with my own truck.

Mr. P. :)

I started the Zaino project yesterday and finished today. All I can say is, if you have not done it, get to it !!! This stuff is sick !!

I don't have any pics yet, but I'll try and get some this week.

If I remember correctly, there was a post some time back, where they tested several products agaisnt Zaino. Zaino won and the test was over sever weeks. The test compared the most popular products.

so who won??

We hav'nt had the judging yet, supposed to happen this Weds....That will give me enough time to put on another coat of Z2 ZFX. Course I've already got 3 coats of it on now.

The claybar makes a big difference. It feels like glass now when you run your hand across the paint. I did'nt think it was doing anything at first.

It looks like it was just painted and still wet..... :D

• 3 weeks later...

It's been a couple weeks at least now since we the contest was to happen...He's backed out now. Says it was all in fun :icon_bs:

Course that was after he saw my truck finished. It turned out really nice still, I don't spend nearly the money I did before in the car washes, dirt and bugs come off easily and looks just like it did when I finished the initial application.....

According to Zaino Bros: yes, a stout mix of original Dawn dishwashing detergent will strip everything right down to the clearcoat, as Dawn is very alkaline (it is as alkaline as vineagar is acidic). This is why Zaino makes its own car wash soap, it is ph-balanced and will not affect these acrylics so that you can just keep adding another touch-up layer every 2nd or 3rd wash.

Mr. P.

so does that mean my meguires car wash soap will be safe on the zanio finish between coats of Z-whatever?????? I dont like the zanio car wash, it smells like crap :crazy:

new gen polish/sealers > old school carnuba wax

*now I say that with a disclaimer... for show car, trailer queen, rides who see little if any road use a high end compound and carnuba with a pro using a high speed buffer will ALWAYS have better depth/shine... but it lacks the protection properties of stuff like Zaino.

With that said I'm happy with DER Stuff :cool:

NOTE: Mr. P... from now on I'm going to need you to provide me with a cliffnotes version of your posts :jester:

Archived