Why are cops such douche weasels?

Man, I can't win. I was on my way this morning (Sun) to help my Chevelle club run a charity car show. It was way out in the country, about 60 miles from my house. It was about 9:00am and I came to a 4 way stop behind another truck. I see a Ohio State Patrol sitting there watching the stop sign. I figure no sweat I haven't done anything so off I go. He pulls out behind me, then follows for about a mile then flips the lights on. I pull over, when he comes up I ask him why he pulled me over....guess what? Illegal tint. I have 35% tint on the sides that's all. He pulls his tint-o-meter out and says I actually have 26%. Whatever...he tells me to go to the place where I had it tinted and have them take it off, yeah right. I have been pulled over another time for speeding and the cop didn't say a word. As a matter of fact a guy in my car club who is a cop told me he thought it looked legal. I guess it's a lot easier to write a $74 tint ticket than to go catch criminals, or people driving like nazis that actually cause a problem. That damn ticket ruined my whole day...if the police in these small towns need to be more concerned with busting the meth labs and catching thieves like the ones who robbed my parents. I was told the area where I live and surrounding counties are the meth producing capitals of the country...oh yay. Just venting rant over.

Dave

Yup that sucks. Cops are people too; how would you like to be assigned duty on a Sunday? Let alone Sunday on a holiday weekend? Being assigned a night or holiday shift is being stuck on shit detail. It is my observation that anytime one is stopped at a time of day when the officer would rather be with their families or friends you are almost guaranteed a citation, before the book even comes out. Then again, the last few times that I have been stopped I have made a very large effort to turn the tables the other direction, that is to be the absolute coolest, respectable, *likeable* guy in the world. I'll stop there, I'm about to hijack your thread!

Mr. P. :)

Being nice makes it too easy...I don't like to feel like I'm taking one up the ole poop chute and not speak my mindespecially when I know I'm getting a ticket. I'm definately not driving 120 miles round trip to fight a $74 ticket, just frustrating. I don't hate all cops but I was told by a couple of club members of at least 2 other people they saw pulled over. I have driving tricked out cars (big block Chevelles, Camaros, etc) since I was 16, and I'm used to the speeding, reckless op, drag racing, seat belt tickets. I have kept my nose clean for 4 or 5 years till recently. I just hate being nailed on what I consider total BS.

Dave

...I just hate being nailed on what I consider total BS.

Dave

I completely agree, that was a total BS deal there. Just saying that most "circumstances" are decided in the first few seconds...

why was the cop an douch weasel? i mean it doesent sound like he was a bad cop just doing his job! i know i get pissed when i get a ticket but its usually something you could have prevented. im not taking his side, i just think it could have been alot worse and 74 bucks isnt the end of the world. if your tint is illeagle then he had a right to site you. i agree with mr p, i try and be nice as possible but i sometimes get pissed and its very hard to control. IMO.

I have to agree with the above statements. I don't think anyone really enjoys being pulled over. Tint's are a minor offense, but think of all the things you did prior to this. Say last week yesterday a month ago, that you did't get caught for. 74 dollars is a deal.

Ok ... Once again without stepping on any toes..... Here is my view and many other officer's view on Window Tint. *Cough*Cough* Escalade SS take note !!! :jester:

Window Tint = The Unknown ... ie:Death.

You see, on vehicle stops. I really really really like to see everyone in the vehicle, along with what their hands are doing. Yeah yeah yeah, guns kill, but realistically, Hands kill. They are what act out peoples emotions.

So, The window tint is important. It is set by the state at a certain level. When it is too dark, I can't see in, especially at night. If I can't see you, I don't know what your are doing?? Too many times officers stop vehicles in the middle of the night, and it really is a lottery, all I can think of is "whether this will be the time that I get shot." Thus the infraction.

Now you also stated that you live in the "Meth Capitol of the country". Ok, I know the officer is thinking then, Meth = Other Drugs, Big Money, increased Violence, through the use of Guns. So I can see where it would be a BS charge to you, but the officer is thinking about safety for himself and other officers.

I can agree that $74.00 may not have been the way to ask you to remove it. Maybe a written warning at first ... But on the second infraction, a civil citation for sure.

... Count your blessings ... In Mass. it is a $250.00 fine, also if you give the officer a hard enough time, he can write you that amount per window!!!!

Ohio's Fallen Officers .com

Edited by Stitches040 (see edit history)

I have paid for my fun. My point is I don't like being harrassed, which is what I consider this to be. The way the cop acted towards me makes him a douche weasel. I started out with no attitude what so ever, but I do not like being talked down to by someone my own age. You get what you give. I remember a lot of people around here feeling harrassed for minor things. I guess my real point is that they seem to take the easy way. If I was in downtown Cincinnati I could run naked down the street with my hair on fire as long as I didn't shoot anyone, while in Podunk window tint is the crime of the century. What made me even madder is that while flagging show cars in I saw 10+ cars with 20% or more tint.

Also as a side note, the local police were at the show. I wish I had my camera...The chief of West Union, Ohio police department has a mullet aka West Virginia Waterfall. I about fell over. He was a nice guy though. It's the State cops that have always given me a problem.

Dave

You guys are right, how could I be so selfish. I will turn myself in at the station tomorrow. I sure will miss the wife and kids. The cops never harass anyone and they only care about my safety. Oh I forgot to tell you the story about the city cop who was told to stop writing so many tickets because no one would deliver concrete in the city limits because he wrote so many truck drivers for the tiniest infraction. You can ALWAYS find a reason to pull someone over, and justify it by saying "for the officer's safety" or "He matched the description of". I stumbled upon a law enforcement forum, and it was interesting. Don't think these guys don't get off by hassling us...especially the rookies

Ok ... Once again without stepping on any toes.....  Here is my view and many other officer's view on Window Tint.  *Cough*Cough* Escalade SS take note !!!  :jester:

Window Tint = The Unknown ... ie:Death.

:jester:

Hey man,

every vehicle I own is "illegal" by the book! :thumbs:

i don't run front plates, and I tint the front windows 5% - 20% depending on the car! I understand this is against the law...BUT

I ride clean(no warrants and sober), and understand that at any time I could get busted for these things!

its just part of it... I get a tint ticket...I remove it and have ticket signed off then put the tint right back on!!!

its like a 2-3 day deal! :D

I understand the officers point of view with the tint... and just deal with it! :smash:

:thumbs:

IMO, the reason cops pull people over for "tint" and other minor violations is to look for other suspicious things. You said earlier that your town has a big meth problem. By having to dark of tint is a good reason for a cop to pull you over and check you out if you are high or drunk. This may be a way to get some meth atticks off of the street.

IMO, the reason cops pull people over for "tint" and other minor violations is to look for other suspicious things. You said earlier that your town has a big meth problem. By having to dark of tint is a good reason for a cop to pull you over and check you out if you are high or drunk. This may be a way to get some meth atticks off of the street.

(Again, not trying to take sides, that was a BS stop)

This kind of thing is exactly what I meant - officers are just people. And people are flawed by their own prejudices, if it looks like a duck... The police officer's cruiser is his "home" or "office", and he subconciously sees your vehicle as your office too, and make assessments accordingly - it's just simple unavoidable human nature. Question - if you get pulled over and have a NOS or NX sticker on the rear window how likely do you think you are to get off with a warning - even if there is no system on the vehicle (you are pulled over in your tow rig, not your race car)? Same kind of thing about window tint, the fact is that officers are taught to assume the worst until proven otherwise (for their own self protection) and the officers are told that the real dangerous guys like to run limo tint because they have something to hide; at best, even if the officer does not assume the worst pulling in behind you he will assess that you have no problem 'bucking the system' or 'sporting an attitude' so there will probably be other areas in your life like that too and you are just inviting him to snoop around in your affairs for something... It's just like the fact that a very high percentage of people with broken turn signals also have traffic warrants, because these violators are people that are not responsible enough to take care of their personal business.

Mr. P.

edit - I will add that most officers will quickly see that the car is a show car, and when you tell them you are on your way to display in a car show they usually will cut you slack; that guy was just jerking you around.

Edited by misterp (see edit history)