last shot with the 4L65E....

On the subject of trans fluid...I always used Type-F trans fluid in my THM400 and THM350's that I ran in the Chevelle(s). I was told that it had some other kind of friction modifier in it, and I can tell you it definately shifted firmer with Type-F. What's the deal with it? Anybody know? Later

Dave

F-type is a very good fluid to get the clutches to grab and shift. I read a thread a while back on LS1tech and many people went into how much better fluid it was over the GM fluids. Some even referred to it as a shift kit in a bottle.

I think of the other fluids I mentioned as taking yet another step further. If I didn't want to go ahead with the more expensive ones, F-type fluid would be going on over the GM fluid.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So what is the verdict for us N/A guys.

I will be pulling a large camper trailer this summer and so I'm going to put in Zippy's towing shift kit. I was thinking of going to synthetic fluid but now I'm not sure.

Greg

F-type is a very good fluid to get the clutches to grab and shift. I read a thread a while back on LS1tech and many people went into how much better fluid it was over the GM fluids. Some even referred to it as a shift kit in a bottle.

I think of the other fluids I mentioned as taking yet another step further. If I didn't want to go ahead with the more expensive ones, F-type fluid would be going on over the GM fluid.

Been debating using SYNTHETIC F-type FLUID in my new tranny. I was also a bit timid on the synthetic due to its functional properties (lets the tranny slip more) but liked the fact that it handles the heat / foaming much better. I feel that this may be the best of both worlds :dunno:

Opinions? Ben, I know you like the Amsoil type :cheers: Anyone else have opinions on the "grippy synthetic fluids"?

Any of you guys running high hp/tq motors due to what you have done to them should be using something formulated to handle what you're now putting the tranny through. When you read the labels and it says "specially" formulated for those type of motors, to me that meant I was supposed to do that. That was how I took it and it has worked for me. Granted I only have about 12k miles on this build, but it has seen a lot of power from my different motors and towing to boot.

Not in anyway saying that this is what will save your tranny from breaking, because all of them will eventually from high power/tq - at least all the 4L6Xs.

I have to drop my pan here soon to fix a sticking/stiff solenoid and when I do that I plan to change over to the Amsoil Super Shift formula. Super Shift I can get it at dealer cost, but still cost me $75 for 12 qts.

I am a big proponent for Amsoil products, but don't know how this stuff performs. I am sure I would be just as happy going with Raptor Blood and feel just as good about it.

My owners manual says to use Dexron-VI in my '06 4L65E.

Is this what you guys are refering to as GM fluid? :dunno:

I am about to do my first trans service in my nearly stock '06 VHO.

I do alot of heavy towing (my race car in my 22' enclosed trailer).

Should I be using something other than Dexron-VI?

2199584_9_full.jpg

When you AWD guys switch to a 4L80E, do you use a 2WD or a 4WD 4L80E? Reason I ask is, back in the day I upgrade my 11-second 1990 5.7L Silverado from a 700R4 to a 4L80E and I used the 2WD 4L80E and I just sold my 1990 Silverado and still have a good spare 2WD 4L80E. The transmission that was in my Silverado when I sold it was a 4WD 4L80E, that I converted to a 2WD. I just had to change the tail shaft and tail shaft housing.

not too many people have switched over successfully yet....

the ones that have (that i know of) kept it AWD, thatd be my maind goal... though i see going to 2wd not only being fun, but beings possib. cheaper :dunno:

great info tho :thumbs:

illa bet someone on here will pick up your 80e damn skippy if you were to "advertise" it in the for sale section...

good luck with the sale :thumbs: and thanks for the offer

I think the billet servos are way too hard on the tranny with a Radix.  I'm in no way an expert, but most of the broken shafts on NA trucks moderately modded on here, have had them.  Your power/tq level obviously exceeds those. 

The weakest part that I saw going into my truck as I watched it get built was the input shaft and drum.  Even though mine was aftermarket and had quite a bit beefier collar where the shaft entered the drum, you could tell it was just not made for high power/tq levels.  Especially not that combined with a banging shift from a billet servo.

That's just my opinion.  There are a lot of proponents to that piece on here.  I'd be willing to bet money your tranny would last longer without them.

I would also go away from synthetic fluid.  As much as synthetic fluid dissaptes heat, it still causes more slip in the clutches.  I would look to the fluids that cause the clutches to grip better.  Fluids like Raptor Blood, BTE Super shift, or Amsoil Trick shift.  The Amsoil is synthetic but it is formulated for the clutches to grab.  All three are specially designed for high hp/tq motors.  Royal purple is a good product, but not designed for your application.  Unless of course they have a trick shift type version - I don't look at their fluids much.

i have both billet servos, i also have the Vac mod along with other things upgraded in the trans. basically what they consider level 5 internals expect for the shafts and etc. within 70 miles i wiped out the trans. i run a 3800 stall now and i got on it about 30mph broke them loose and when it shifted 1-2 it gernaded. heard loud band then grinding. it deff shifted hard and that time was just way to hard.

so i guess i can back up the statment of the servos and vac mod being too harsh

not too many people have switched over successfully yet....

the ones that have (that i know of) kept it AWD, thatd be my maind goal... though i see going to 2wd not only being fun, but beings possib. cheaper :dunno:

great info tho :thumbs:

illa bet someone on here will pick up your 80e damn skippy if you were to "advertise" it in the for sale section...

good luck with the sale :thumbs: and thanks for the offer

I have not advertised my 4L80E for sale yet, because I have not decided on selling it yet. If someone was interested though, hmmmm.

What I was asking was, to stay with the AWD, does it require a 4WD or 2WD version of the 4L80E? I am not familiar with the SSS AWD System. Anyone :dunno:

what is wrong with the "vac mod" - are you meaning the Transgo Solenoid? - i havnt heard much aboot it really :dunno: it was just reccommended to me...

its worth it but at the same time if you run stock internals youll probably end up like me. it gives you full pressure under torque. also helps out at idling so it doesnt burn up clutches but it will make the 1-2 shift very firm and then top it off with billet servos and 2 shims its harsh. fun for sure to you break internals

what is wrong with the "vac mod" - are you meaning the Transgo Solenoid? - i havnt heard much aboot it really :dunno: it was just reccommended to me...

its worth it but at the same time if you run stock internals youll probably end up like me. it gives you full pressure under torque. also helps out at idling so it doesnt burn up clutches but it will make the 1-2 shift very firm and then top it off with billet servos and 2 shims its harsh. fun for sure to you break internals

"harsh"? Sounds more like outright violent!