New sub box for gm ex cab's

Just thought I would pass along a great deal on a sub box loaded with two 10's. Go to www.crutchfield.com and look up part # 236CXP20R. It's an MTX Thunderform enclosure with two 10's. It's real nice thick molded and custom fit for the extended cab. All you'll need is a sub amp to complete. What makes this a deal is that it's a closeout red color for only $249 with free shipping. I got one for my SuperCrew a few years ago. And last month I got another one for my '05 SS. Spend $10 bucks on charcoal interior plastic paint and you cannot beat it. I got an MTX 400 watt sub amp off Ebay cheap. I think I've got $350 in the whole deal. Sounds great with the Bose. Get an amp that has a remote gain BTW. I called Crutchfield and they've only got one more of this part #. To buy the same thing in the charcoal color is $200 more.

One more thing. When you look up that part #, it will say 1999-2001 ext. cab. Trust me, this works in later years. Cab and rear seat is the same clear up through '06. When I bought mine, they had three colors they were closing out. Now they've just got the one closeout left.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

imo you get what you pay for jl subs are better than mtx, i would not put mtx subs in my truck if they were given to me. jmo. id rather fork out some extra change and have a better sub!

imo you get what you pay for jl subs are better than mtx, i would not put mtx subs in my truck if they were given to me. jmo. id rather fork out some extra change and have a better sub!

Sure JL is considered to be a higher line and priced product. If you're going with a sub like that, then the whole factory system needs yanked and some kind of high dollar system be put together. Likewise, there's better stuff out there than JL like I've got in my other SS. But, I like the Bose in this truck and the MTX's keep up with it fine. It's kinda like putting a $20,000 pool in the backyard of a $50,000 house. You can do it. Just pointing out a good deal for someone looking to improve the stock Bose a Lot for not much money.

I say skip the box. For that amount of cash, I don't really need it. I like to buy the good stuff because 99% of the time(you get what you paid for). But on this instance, I'll stick with my MTX 8500 series subs(new off eBay $120 shipped for the pair :D ) I've had them for a couple years now and they hit plenty hard enough for me. Just my $0.02 worth. To each his own. The box is really nice though :cool:

can anybody confirm the part number i listed above is going to match my interior?

well i thought our interior was graphite. check yoour paint code with the dealership and they should be bale to tell you, i didnt know gm had that many interior colors!

my buddy at the audio shop called, my stealth box is in. i'm going to try to make it down there tomorrow to get it, but probably won't be able to until tuesday. of course, pics will be provided. from what he said, this thing(s) is BAD ASS!

Edited by Holty (see edit history)

hmmm tuesday i should be getting some subs as well....just got done putting in the kicker rear fill and matting the rear doors.  this weekend ill finish up with the rear wall and floors.  All seats are out of the truck :)

now im done with half the truck, got the drivers side and rear driver side and wall with sound dampner. Ill finish up the other half tomorrow but im waiting on my new amp as well before i put the rear seat back in.

we (I) need to see some pics of how you sound deadened the doors and interior please!  also, what rears did you end up going with?  pics would be great!

lol damn i put the doors back on, ill take some pics of the second half tomorrow before i finish it up. i ended up getting those kickers you told me about. they sound ok, right now it was hard to tell if they were better than the bose, i tried to compare them but couldnt tell so much.

im thinking of doing the front doors as well, so i might be getting more crap and when i do that ill take pics of the doors. But for the rears i did the interior and exterior, so like 2 layers. The rest of the truck im only doing single, though in some places i have double layers.

i really really need to see pics of the dynamat job.

if those kickers don't sound good, then there is something wrong. for rear fill, my sound amazing. did you amp them or run them off your h/u?

i really really need to see pics of the dynamat job. 

if those kickers don't sound good, then there is something wrong.  for rear fill, my sound amazing.  did you amp them or run them off your h/u?

I got some pics, havent transferred them yet. Ill take the rear doors off, but i ran out of matting so i need to get more. when i get done ill put the pics up.

ran them off the h/u, i think thats why. Maybe ill run them to the amp....yeah ok i think ill run them to the amp and see how they sound i think the amp can handle it.

thats weird, cause i have mine running off my h/u and they sound great! i have to fade it to the front a little because they are so loud (and clean). but remember, its just rear fill and you don't really want to hear them much over your front stage.

alright, finally got done with the thing, but my amp and subs arent here yet but all the hard work is done :)

I did the whole truck, back wall, rear doors, front doors, and the floor. It took probably about 10 or so hours. I just need to mount my new amp when it comes.

Here are some pics:

front driver door

driverdoor3.jpg

driverdoor2.jpg

Rear Door:

reardoor.jpg

Passenger Rear:

rearwall.jpg

Dynamat complete:

rearcomplete.jpg

Just missing an amp :devil: :

rearcomplete2.jpg