Newbie lowering question

Breezy

First off great site!!!

Now I have a brand new 06 WT4X4 SWB with soft ride susp. I have lowered the back with 6400 shackle. Know after further investigation I noticed that 4X4's have a 2 inch block between the axle and spring. So this weekend I plan on ditching that to get another 2 inch drop. Know I want to know if I can lower the front 1.5 inches by cranking the torsion bar. Talked to my alignment guy and he seems to think it should be fine. Has anyone lowered with factory key. I can't see any reason to buy a new key when I have threads left on my factory adjusting key bolt. Alignment guy seemed to think if I turned the bolt out 1/4 to 1/2 inch that I should drop at least 1 to 1.5 inches easy. Your doing the same thing with a aftermarket key so what is the advantage of them. Still have the same amount of wieght on torsion bar so I'm confussed. Need info please. I also have my new SS 20's on this truck.

First off great site!!!

Now I have a brand new 06 WT4X4 SWB with soft ride susp. I have lowered the back with 6400 shackle. Know after further investigation I noticed that 4X4's have a 2 inch block between the axle and spring. So this weekend I plan on ditching that to get another 2 inch drop. Know I want to know if I can lower the front 1.5 inches by cranking the torsion bar. Talked to my alignment guy and he seems to think it should be fine. Has anyone lowered with factory key. I can't see any reason to buy a new key when I have threads left on my factory adjusting key bolt. Alignment guy seemed to think if I turned the bolt out 1/4 to 1/2 inch that I should drop at least 1 to 1.5 inches easy. Your doing the same thing with a aftermarket key so what is the advantage of them. Still have the same amount of wieght on torsion bar so I'm confussed. Need info please. I also have my new SS 20's on this truck.

After market keys will give you about an inch of drop without even messing with the adjustment there for you would actually have more adjustment left. You can give it a shot but don't forget to cut a ring/nub off of the front bumpstops other wise it will ride hard. They cut easy with a hacksaw blade,sawzall,or razor knife.

:withstupid: You can lower the truck about 1.5" via the unscrewing the torsion key preload bolt, don't go more than that; the preload does change but the biggest factor is that when you loosen the torsion preload you are trading the allowable operating range of the spring for lowered ride height; the spring will not have the range of motion that it used to. If you also install the aftermarket keys, then you would have a max 2.5" drop.

Mr. P. :)

IMHO...You should do a search and read Mr. P's post on lowering...He spent the time and it lists the pluses and disadvantages of all lowering scenarios...Might save you some money and time...

Thanks guys. It's done. Did it today got her lined up and looking good.Rides just as it did to me. Since I don't have an SS I must have avoided some of the troubles you all have gotten into. Anyhow I love it. I would put some pics up but not sure how to?? Put a pic in my vehicles.

Archived