87 octane

foxySS

Has anyone tried this yet? I filled my tank with 87 last night with a bottle of octane booster to see if it would run just as good or close. It was pinging a little bit with the rest of the 92 i had in there before hand anyways. So I figured what the hell, might as well see if it works. I think I heard a little bit of pinging but not much. I haven't driven it enough to find out for sure yet though. :cheers:

i doubt it would bump the whole tank back up to 92 octane, but arent those booster like 5.99? that more than the difference of a full tank of 87 would be compared to a full tank of 91-92

You won't get the octane back up using octane booster unless you buy the real expensive stuff. Once you pay for the octane booster though, you really didn't save anything by not getting premium fuel... :nono:

Actually, I was researching the price and you can get it for as low as $3-4. This stuff I bought like six months ago and forgot I had it in my truck so I figured I would try it out. I think it's a cheaper brand though (I can't remember the name but it came in an orange bottle and I think it said Super Octane Booster.) I'm not sure if the cheap stuff does as much but it is close to making sense. When premium sometimes costs 30 to 40 cents more per tank than 87 at almost $4 a gallon it seems like it would start to become logical.

That stuff boosts octane by a point or two...that is:

0.1 to 0.2 octame...as in, from 87.0 to 87.2 octane.

Read up on the web...all that stuff is just a bottle of the concentrate that's ALREADY in your gas...and such a minor amount, it's a waste of $$$.

This has been tried and trued...and you results would have been the same with straight 87 in there...since it really does nothing.

Search Google a little, and read up...you'll see what I'm trying to say...there have been MANY tests done on these additives.

- Brian

why the hell are you being dumb? octane booster is a joke and also leaves desposits on valves and etc. turns things colors and isnt the best thing to use either.

and for the price difference you spend more on hte juice in a can then you do at getting 93. your truck requires preminum why not just suck it up and run it? its only liek a 5dollar difference on a full tank?

spending dollars to save a penny isnt a economical way of budgeting money

Actually, a few of my family's race engines that we built were meant to run on 100 or 104 octane (due to higher compression) and we added octane booster with 92 and they ran just fine. I don't disagree with what some people are saying but.... However, the big bad boy's that we built (500 and 540ci na fuel injected engines,) there's no getting around running racing fuel in them. :D

BTW, Quik, you don't have to be such a dick. :crackup:

Edited by foxySS (see edit history)

If you're referring to the stuff you can pick up at any parts store, then your are talking the cheap stuff that doesn't do much as stated. If you want to "really" boost with xylene or the other stuff that you can get it costs $10-12 a gallon.

Also if you're only reference is what you hear, then get out your logging software and watch what your truck is doing.

I wouldn't run 87 on a stock motor without some fairly significant changes in the tune. Why would you risk it with a Supercharged motor?? Obviously, fuel mileage wasn't that important at one point. Did you believe a lie that the Whipple would improve your gas mileage?

45 cents a gallon X 25 gallons is $11.25. That times one tank a week is $45 a month. If $45 more a month is killing you, remove the Whipple and sell it on ebay. If you got $3k for it, that's 66.66 months of being able to afford the extra money for what is supposed to go in there. Problem solved.

Per Benkey's post the little bottles at the auto parts store are essentially worthless. You can add toluene or xylene by the gallon; they have AKI ratings of 114 and 117 respectively. One gallon of Xylene added to nine gallons of pump 87 would yield ten gallons of 90 octane fuel.

I have used them in the past to further raise the octane on the best gas I can get around here, Sunoco 94, but it would not be a cost effective way to boost 87 when unleaded premium is available.

The price of gas sucks but if you buy a full sized truck designed to run on premium, and you strap on a blower, you gotta pay to play. :chevy:

Edited by SSLink (see edit history)