Oil life %

CenWaSS

Just curious, I just had the first oil change in my SS since I've owned it. I the service shop use a highly recommended synthetic oil. The shop where I had it serviced claimed that I could go for 5000 miles until my next oil change. My question is...how does the oil life % tell when the oil needs changed. Is it just a calculated amount between miles/hours or what? Does the sensor/indicator actually know when the oil has broken down? Or do I just change the oil when it starts getting black?

As I said, I was just curious if anyone knew how this oil life indicator worked. Any info would be great. Thanks!

It's a pretty complicated system that counts how many times the crankshaft has rotated. It also takes in effect engine temperature. If you drive it hard and do alot of short trips the % will drop quickly. If you do long extended highway type driving it will extend the miles you can go on the oil and not drop the % very quick. It's really a nice system overall. I do recomend you use synthetic oil myself. It handles the heat considerably better.

Just curious, I just had the first oil change in my SS since I've owned it.  I the service shop use a highly recommended synthetic oil.  The shop where I had it serviced claimed that I could go for 5000 miles until my next oil change.  My question is...how does the oil life % tell when the oil needs changed.  Is it just a calculated amount between miles/hours or what?  Does the sensor/indicator actually know when the oil has broken down?  Or do I just change the oil when it starts getting black?

As I said, I was just curious if anyone knew how this oil life indicator worked.  Any info would be great.  Thanks!

Here is a thread on an oil forum by a GM Engineer that talks about the OLM.