3rd gear in tranny gone.. already

Well this sucks. 3200 miles after buying the truck from Dylan, the damn tranny goes out. I was getting off the freeway by my house, just cruisin along, and when the tranny shifts into 3rd, it just went to redline like it was in neutral. Im guessing the 3rd gear clutches took a sh!t. Oh well, just my luck I guess. Called Toy Shop where he got it rebuilt, and had it towed to them. Unfortunatly, there was only a 30 day warranty on the rebuild, because it was only 'repaired' not 'overhauled'.

Long story short, its getting an OEM tranny replaced at the dealership now. That means no more 3000 rpm stall, probably no trans cooler, no shift kit, etc. But now I have programming on the truck that gets rid of ALL my torque management. I imagine this will kill the new tranny... ?? What should I do now that I will have an OEM tranny in here now? I seriously dont want it to blow another tranny anytime soon... I want longevity, and not something that will die all the time.. I am reconsidering putting a blower on it now if the tranny's are this sensitive.

I wouldn't say the transmissions are that sensitive. You had a part failure. It happens. As for the torque management, if it concerns you just ask the dealer to program the truck back to stock.

I wouldn't say the transmissions are that sensitive. You had a part failure. It happens. As for the torque management, if it concerns you just ask the dealer to program the truck back to stock.

Yeah I just might do that. I will probably have another shift kit installed... i that case, I always hear about the 'zippy' shift kit.. which I am assuming is from you :) How much do you charge for one? Also, when using a shift kit, do I need to re-program the torque management, or does the shift kit tranny programming do enough already?

i doubt they will replace the cooler or the stall, but why didnt you just have it fixed by the toy shop that way you have a stronger tranny when the radix goes in ? probably woul dhave saved you some money too!

i doubt they will replace the cooler  or the stall, but why didnt you just have it fixed by the toy shop that way you have a stronger tranny when the radix goes in ? probably woul dhave saved you some money too!

Well because basically Kendall at the Toy shop (really cool guy BTW) said that whatever went wrong with the tranny before when they fixed it, probably had something to do with whatever went wrong with the tranny now. Kendall said he drove it, that the shifts were set WAYY too hard, and that the line pressure for the shift kit and the programming of the truck were jacking the shifts up too much, and could have possibly broken the output shaft at anytime. He said hes surprised the 1-2 shift didnt break anything yet. Since the tranny was only repaired last time, they said they would need to overhaul the entire thing this time to make sure it doesnt happen again. To be honest, theres no way in hell I am dropping $2200-2300 for an overhaul right now. So Kendall is hooking me up with a guy he knows to get the tranny replaced on the GM warranty, and I can have them throw in a shift kit and re-use the converter (if possible) because they said that might be bad, but they arent sure. I will be hearing from them later today, so I am keeping my fingers crossed I will have my truck back hopefully soon.

Edited by punkt71 (see edit history)

Well.. just got off the phone with the tranny guys. It seems the 1-2 shift was set wayyyy too high in the computer, and combined with the shift kit, cracked the tranny cases and blew up the input shaft, along with other crap. $2000 in damage.

This goes to show ... DO NOT set the computer shift firmness too high if you have a shiftkit... hard shifts=broken parts. They are going to re-flash the computer to stock, and put the TQ management back in and let the shift kit do its work. Will I have to program the computer again because they are leaving the TB 3000 stall in? 3200 miles since buying the truck and I have had to replace the water pump, brakes, and now the tranny... Dylan you made out at the right time man (i know your readin this :D ) :jester:

Well, at least they are keeping all the upgraded parts in the tranny and giving me a 1yr/12k mile warranty. Anyone in the Socal area that can help me re-program the truck's shiftpoints and crap? Thanks!!!

Can you ask them what the 1-2 pressure was set at?  Who adjusted it, them?  Sounds a little fishy, IMO.

I did ask them why it was set so high. They said when the build transmissions and install shift kits, they always set the line pressures/shift firmness a certain way before it leaves the shop. He said when he first drove it, he almost sh!t his pants on how hard it shifted, and there would be no way they would leave a truck like that shifting that hard. He blames the the tuning in the computer, saying the computer is increasing the line pressure when the shift kit is doign the same, and said it was probably done after it left their shop. Either way, its getting rebuilt. I knew the 1-2 shift felt a little TOO neck snapping ... it was more like transmission case and input shaft snapping firm shifts :crazy: