thermostat

Thanks benkey. I'm still looking into getting a hp tuner, Because I dont' like the trans programming. And I have installed headers and a exhaust system. I might need some help in programming, I don't want to mess te programming up. I' m going to other mods too. Injectors, cam, and I'm sure their are many more.

i thought if you went with a 160 you want to get a tune to advance the timing some?

I think 160* t-stat ALLOWS you to advance the time more if desired for a little more power, but, not required.

-Korey-

and I dont think a basic handheld unit will be able to adjust fot a thermostat, you will have to get a true PCm re-flash, TRUST me, it is worth it!!! :driving::driving:

i thought if you went with a 160 you want to get a tune to advance the timing some?

I think 160* t-stat ALLOWS you to advance the time more if desired for a little more power, but, not required.

-Korey-

and I dont think a basic handheld unit will be able to adjust fot a thermostat, you will have to get a true PCm re-flash, TRUST me, it is worth it!!! :driving::driving:

:withstupid: I'm with this guy!

-Korey-

-Korey-

When did handhelds ever get mentioned in this thread :dunno: He said he was thinking about HP tuners.

There is no adjustment for a thermostat per se, but a handheld does bump up the timing when you load the performance tune.

Both types of tunes (handheld or the ones you refer to) are "true" PCM reflashes.

On some older vehicles if you switched to a 160 t-stat and did not do a re-tune, it would run rich because it would not reach a high enough temperature to get out of cold engine mode (not sure of the proper name for that). Power and mileage would suffer. Can someone confirm are trucks don't have any negative effects from switching to a 160 t-stat and no retune? If it has zero negative effects I will probably be changing to a 160 t-stat in the near future. TIA.

if you live in a colder area i suggest only a180 unless you want to change it every time cold season comes. with 160 years ago in my s10 i experienced not so warm temps from the heater

with 180 its not the same as it was with a stock one in my truck this past winter

On some older vehicles if you switched to a 160 t-stat and did not do a re-tune, it would run rich because it would not reach a high enough temperature to get out of cold engine mode (not sure of the proper name for that). Power and mileage would suffer. Can someone confirm are trucks don't have any negative effects from switching to a 160 t-stat and no retune? If it has zero negative effects I will probably be changing to a 160 t-stat in the near future. TIA.

there are several settings in the pcm that keep the engine in cold or hot mode depending on the ECT. HPTuners will allow you to modify these settings.

There are no doubt a few minor things that can be adjusted based on using a lower thermostat. However, there are no ill effects from doing so without adjusting the tune. If that were the case, there'd be warnings on the t-stat box telling you this. It be legal warnings.

Aside from that, there are many people on here that are already doing it.

The differences in hot and cold mode in the PCM are not related to what t-stat you have in the motor. Going to a a 160 stat will only lower the temp down to about 175, roughly. If that is not hot enough to get some heat from you would have to be in some really cold temps. Mine blows hotter than I can stand and burns your hand if you hold it up to the vent opening and I have a 160 stat. Opinions vary.

I just read a article about lower engine temps. It said lower engie temps can have a affect on engine life, engine oils are desinged to run hot about 180* to burn the moisture out of the engine after shutdown and in cool climates. Sounded logical But don't know if anybody ever had that prolbem. I can't remember were that article was. I think it was search on 160* thermostats. :dunno:

Archived