How to achieve a 2/3.5 drop

haul@ss

Ok, well i have been planning to drop my truck for a while and will be doing so soon... Problem is, I was planning on just ordering a McGaughy kit, but since the incident (you know what i'm talking about), I am looking elsewhere to achieve my drop. I want to go with a 2/3.5 drop so i was thinking 2" spindles, hangers, and shackles. But I heard that Belltech does not not make hangers for our trucks and that the max drop i can get from them in the rear is 2". Please correct me if I'm wrong. Are there any other hangers that i can purchase individually to go with the Belltech spindles and shackles? Any suggestions and opinions are welcome! TIA :chevy:

To my knowledge, I have not heard of anyone else that makes front leaf spring perches; this is the critical piece of the puzzle as it entirely dictates instant center of the rear suspension as well as playing a part in the resulting pinion angle.

Mr. P.

You are correct on that, but this is what belltech told me directly. Since they don't run shackles and hangers to achieve the 3" rear you can use the leaf pack, that they build. Two problems with that.

1. There is a 4/5 week backlog on them to fill orders that have already been placed... This is where I stand::::::::waiting:::::::::

2. You will lose bed payload, and some trailer weight, if not using airbags for assist.

Hope that Helps, Tj

Belltech rocks!!!! :thumbs:

Just load the bed down with landscape blocks JK :jester: I feel for you guys. I thougth about a drop but have since changed my mind. I've decided to work on performance mods......for now :P

I am in the same boat, and decided to do Bell's 2" spindles and 3" leafs. I didn't want to remove/cut the factory hangers/shackles, in case I don't like it dropped I want to be able to go back to stock easily. Although I got the spindles a month ago, I am still waiting for the leafs which Jegs said will ship out next week.

Getting tired of waiting so long, I did a search and called around for other options. Another rear drop leaf option that was suggested to me by Sport Truck Direct in AZ is made by Western Chassis. These leafs are about the same price as the Bells and they have them IN STOCK, but shipping is about $69. Since mine will ship out next week with free shipping, and I won't really have time to mess with it before then anyways, I just decided to wait. The Westerns can be seen at http://www.sporttruckdirect.com/smooth_riders.html - the guy I spoke to was Corey (I think).

BTW, doesn't using the stock rear springs with different shackles/hangers also reduce the load carrying capacity, because it's so much closer to the frame?

J

Well there's got to be a way. Using the drop kit as-is will take the fast right out of the truck - another good member here shared with me that installing his McGaughy's drop cost him .15-sec in his 1/4-mile time, that's due not only to driveline issues but also the change in instant center of the rear suspension. My goal is to have it lowered and fast. :driving:

Mr. P.

I am still waiting for the leafs which Jegs said will ship out next week.

Getting tired of waiting so long,

BTW, doesn't using the stock rear springs with different shackles/hangers also reduce the load carrying capacity, because it's so much closer to the frame?

J

I would doulbe check on the leafs, when I talked to belltech(05-17-06) they told me 3/4 weeks to fill back orders. I have been waiting 5 weeks now for my order to be filled, I have my spindles and they are done being powder coated.

Where I said 4/5 week backlog that is new orders.

Think about what you, stock springs. You will have the same payload, just not the travel due to being closer to the frame, and bump stops.

Well this is interesting; Fedex just delivered my rear Belltech leafs that were not expected until a couple more weeks at the soonest :dunno: Looks like next week I'm goin' down!

Well this is interesting; Fedex just delivered my rear Belltech leafs that were not expected until a couple more weeks at the soonest  :dunno:  Looks like next week I'm goin' down!

Luck man, I just found out mine should be here next week at soonest.

Looks like next week I'm goin' down!

No comment :jester:

Hey wait a minute, that didn't come out right :crazy:

LMFAO.. daym you guys... get your minds outta the gutter!!!

Anyway, im lost... are you guys reffering to leaf springs that you just received and haynss that you will receive? How much of a drop are they gonna give you and what is the part number? I just want a solution for a 2/3.5 drop!!! is that too much to ask for?! haha

Well there are other hangers out there for our trucks I don't know who's they are but I can get info on where to get them. Here are some of the Belltech part #'s

6400 2” rear shackle

5952 3.5” leaf spring

2508 2" drop spindle

10518 Nitro active mono tube shocks for the rear

I just received my Belltech 5952 leafs today (even though they weren't scheduled to ship until 5/25), and Kaotic is still waiting for his from what I read. Belltech's catalog shows the 5952 spring as a 3" drop though, but I'll gladly take 3.5" if they do that.

I believe Bowtie70SS has these in the rear and it looks nice.

J

I dont know if i'd be happy with just a 3" drop in the rear. Let's say that i got just the spindles and leaf springs in the back, and i removed weight by taking out my spare tire and gettin a roll pan on... Woud that raise the heighth back up?

Is is possible to

$150 just for ONE leaf spring?! Wow i can tell this is gonna be way more expensive than the mcgaughy kit... and with just a 3" drop, its not even as low as id like it to be... :banghead: Is there a way i can get the 3" leaf springs and get another inch from shackles? or use some other combo to get a drop lower than 3"?

Oh btw thanks for the part numbers and for your guys' help! Jon, any info is appreciated! :chevy:

Archived