PINKS

jboyss

I personally can't stand the "Machismo" attitude of the host ... The guy is just a lame A$$ TOOL!!!! He is so serious and dramatic .... it all builds up to a dismal ending.

I'd almost bet my paycheck, that if it weren't for the producers ... he wouldn't know Jack about cars or racing....

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PINKS is being filmed at Gainesville Raceway tonight and tomorrow...I'm planning to go, to see what it's all about.

If it looks like total BS, I'll definitely let you know.

Likewise, if it seems legit...I'll report back.

I think the shows I've seen so far have been allright...any car-related TV is OK in my book (OverHaulin', the "Powerblock" shows on the weekends, American Hotrod, Wrecks to Riches, etc...I like 'em all)

- Brian

Wonder where Orion's at? I've heard a couple details thru sources of things (second hand) but wanted to directly hear an eyewitness observer's thoughts experiences.

While I still love that pic, he is nice guy off camera. I can certainly see the things done for entertainment value. The dramatic music and key handover bit and his intro playing for the camera, it is TV afterall. Now the sponsor plugs grate on my nerves almost immediately. All I can guarantee the producers is that any and all of those products/companies go straight to the bottom of my shopping choices if not completely off the list. (side note, Pop-Up advertisers online, yeah you a-hole, go straight to the 'never buy any product from them file!)(side-side note lol, My never buy list will include that McGaughy dumbass talked of in the other thread.)

I personally have never cared much for the negotiations i've seen on there. For many of them it boils down to how much of a bold face lyer are you. I'd never bet on a race like a traditional street racer type does. I find no enjoyment wagering money with people who's day job has to be in used car sales. But that is the drama that keeps many watching. I end up missing programs when i start channel hopping because of it.

This week sometime I may get to directly talk with people who watched the racing and some involved in it. Man I hope there aren't gag orders or any of that crap.

I personally have never cared much for the negotiations i've seen on there.  For many of them it boils down to how much of a bold face lyer are you.  I'd never bet on a race like a traditional street racer type does. I find no enjoyment wagering money with people who's day job has to be in used car sales. 

:withstupid::withstupid: Exactly... I don't care if I have a 9 second car.. I just don't trust people enough to tell the truth about their car and I'm not a good enough liar myself to risk my pinkslip on it.. :nono:

If one is in it for the money basically, that's not a good motivation as far as I'm concerned. Looks like a way to make grudges and enemies. I'd rather have fun. Not that a grudge or rivalry couldn't develop without a stake greater than one's ego or pride but hopefully it would stay a friendly one.

Now if they could entice true high stakes gamblers with enough cash that betting Pinks, say a Z06 against a Viper, is pocket change. That would be something to watch. I think lengths are bs. Really if it's more than a couple they're not in the same league.

Notice how the competitors always say they can tell what the other can do by looking over the vehicle? That should be the 'negotiation'. Look all over your potential competitor's ride and employ that mechanical wisdom at acceleration potential predition. Think they're faster than what you brought? Don't race. If not, line up head to head, winner take all.

I know, I know, No one will ever race like that. Agreed, the "racers" who won't run unless they've got it completely stacked in their favor won't touch taking that chance. I think I'd avoid playing cards with those guys too unless you bring your own deck take the gambler's chair.

• 4 months later...

http://speedzilla.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28103

The link to pics and vid are down now i think but string is on rich's cycle accident. He layed a guy's new bike down on the return road. Harsh comments from the sport bikers on that site but most believe in gear. If he'd had a proper jacket on he wouldn't have road rash.

http://richchristensen.com/radio/PINKS/10112006.mp3

Rich counters on pinks radio with "I've been riding since 1969... we don't wear helmets in iowa.... My home town doesn't have a speed limit over 35... i never wear a helmet unless i go on the highway."

Fair enough, I don't believe in forcing helmets on people. However it is safer to wear one. Despite his protests that it takes to much effort to put a jacket and helmet on for a short ride he should be able to flip a jacket and helmet on in 10 seconds. He states how they have to put a ramp over the cables they run for production. Ok, if you knew that before the incident, why didn't you see it? Now if the production crew didn't have an obstruction like that marked it's their fault for the accident.

But listen to him as he's pissed and finally lets his tv front fall away as he unloads.

13 minutes into it.

"All the haters, you can go 'F' yourselves. Every single one of you. You know, can't wait till you go down on a bike and i can laugh in your face. You know, seriously, all you guys who threw me under the bus on this thing, you hear me loud and clear, You go 'F' yourselves. I hope you go down and the same thing happens to you and i will spit ontop of you. So Thanks"

Maybe my busting on him a bit when i relayed that string to the guys at work with jamie got repeated. Dunno, geez, call a guy a bonehead and he gets all pissy. Now Rich, if you happen to read this I have gone down before and it was a 'bonehead' mistake. I analyzed and relived it like I'm sure you did. I learned my error and haven't repeated it in 18 years now. Hopefully it works out that way for you.

http://richchristensen.com/radio/PINKS/101806.mp3

Now listen to him whine about others trying to take credit for his 'greatness'. Umm, lets see, he invented racing with titles on the line? Didn't they do that in American Graffiti 30 years ago? And even they didn't come up with it. Now he is the first to get that as a show on tv. Of course the tv weasels try to lay claim or steal ideas. Whoopie, that's what weasels do in any field there Dilbert.

They should have saved all that one for offseason and spent time talking about the show of that night. Stuff that ended up on the cutting room floor and such.

I do call him to task on some things. He likes to go on all the time about people being truthful, personal honor and such. All fine and well and he's not completely lying to one's face like some have but he has stretched the truth regularly. His attempts to glad hand and butt kiss the racers are so transparent. They know your doing it. That is disingenuous. Each week's race is "The best ever"

You do constantly reverse yourself on things and the way you go about them. A rule one week isn't in play the next. Example: One week the crappy car can't negotiate a bunch on lengths in a hail mary attempt to maybe win. The following week's crappy car needs all these lengths and he's the one being flexible and if you don't take the race giving him lengths I'll just award him the win. That arbitrary rule book in your head is not respected.

You may say it's simple, show up, have a solid car that does what ya said and race it hard. But the negotiations are your drama spot. Your way to ratchet up the excitement. Lets keep flip flopping the balance so we insure 5 races. Also you tend to like to make most of the racers travel across the country to race. An obvous attempt to me to gain extra leverage in ensuring they go through with it. They travel all that way, investing all the time and money, so they'll run even if their car starts acting up on race day. When in reality for the racer they should bail cause it's not in their interest to start in a weakened condition.

I really wanted to respect you Rich. But the hollowness of things you've said and done. Reversals and inconsistant stands do you damage man.

Now for all those he told to "Go 'F' Yourselves" they way to take them down is chop his supply lines. Do not buy from any advertiser of the show. Get all you know to do likewise. Hurt the sponsors enough you will ultimately topple the show.

Next season it's gonna be mostly shops supposedly. Well include them. Don't buy from or get service from them either. Yeah it's shitty but if you chop his monetary support as well as his contestants there is nothing left. Wither on the vine.

the only time i ever watched that show, one of the racers got a little hot with him, and he started in with all this tough guy shit, the racer could have clearly handed him his ass but I guess it's probably wise not to clock some prissy a hole in national tv. what a schmuck.

My take, the show is not scripted, Quik will tell you that, and a friend of mine owns the T/A that stomped the Civic last season will tell you that. That said Rich is on a power trip most of the time and IMO is a bitch. I'd love to see someone put him on his ass soon, it'll never make it to TV though. If they wanted to make the races close, which they don't becasue the arguements are the only thing keeping the show alive here's what they should do.... when someone signs up for the show have a neutal driver, part of the show or otherwise run the car with the lights on. Once the car is baselined it would be cake to match up cars that are running within a couple tenths of each other. Boom close races without the BS, not gonna happen though....