Detroit Speed Works Turbo

I might consider these guys as well. Does anyone know what kind of power I can expect? Their turbo escalade was pretty impressive going from a 16.8 to 14.2 with the base kit and tuning. Over and above their kit, what else will I need besides a good tune? Could Zippy tune this? How much should I expect for installation? How about reliability? Someone told me I cant tow with it, but I would figure with the intercooler and only running 5-6lbs of boost I should be ok. I'm not looking for low 12's here just low 13's for a daily driver. How about driving these forced induction SSS's in the snow and winter?

Sorry for all the questions, I am just weighing my options here. I am still leaning towards heads, cam, headers, tune, etc and hope for high 13's.

Also, I did search and read what I could on the radix, STS, and procharger. Lets be honest there isn't much info out there on anything but the radix.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quality kit but need some work. I have heard that it needs some insulation b/c of the underhood heat. There is one guy with it on a SSS and he has not posted any #'s. Installation will go easy b/c of how quality the kit is, your tuner will be able to get more power than the supplyied tune.

Goto perfrtrucks.net and there is some relativly new info there.

you might look into the rotrex turbo from W2W it might be just as expensive.

quality kit but need some work.  I have heard that it needs some insulation b/c of the underhood heat.  There is one guy with it on a SSS and he has not posted any #'s.  Installation will go easy b/c of how quality the kit is, your tuner will be able to get more power than the supplyied tune.

Goto perfrtrucks.net and there is some relativly new info there.

you might look into the rotrex turbo from W2W it might be just as expensive.

The Rotrex head unit will not push enough air to satisfy an LQ9 (seriously) - you're going to need two of them :D

Mr. P. :)

I thought that the bigger unit was good to 600hp, I know it is maxed out but hey get me 400hp to the wheels and I would be happy and if they work out the liquid to air IC then I think that we will see these type of superchargers from the factory on some GM cars/trucks, it might be smaller displacement but these are super quiet and (with the transmission on the supercharger) might help get the power output while keeping some of the MPG that the CAFE is going to require...I know I am guessing but with gas prices like they are performance cars are going to change!!! The camaro is the perfect example, they cant build it like a vette and sell it cheaper. I know I am rambling now...

I cant wait to go back to W2W!

here is the link to the Performancetrucks thread

Oh the drama on that show  :lol: Thank god for TiVo, I just fast forward the bickering and go right to the line-up :thumbs:  The producers in the last couple months have done a better job at putting together a more watchable show, I think give it another season and it'll be a lot more polished. 

Winning by only a 1/2 to 1 length is damn smart street racing.  What you are seeing is a lot of, well I won't call it sandbagging, but definitely not letting the other guy really know exactly what you are capable of; when the other guy (or show's host) wants to "see what your car's really capable of" they want to really know the limit of the competing vehicle and thus how to best out-negotiate the line-up.  I would not be surprised to see more truly wicked 9-sec capable cars being run well under their true index, and that's gotta be N/A since there is such a fear of NOS on that show.  Personally I would be interested in seeing more of that... and the Wooly Mammoth wagon, that thing was awesome :thumbs:

Mr. P.

screw the rear mount :D

these are front mounted. notice how we dont talk about STS here much any more :dunno::dunno::dunno::jester::jester:

Whats wrong with STS? Why don't we talk about them around her emuch anymore? Someone's engine go boom?

They seemed a little high on the pricing. I was quoted $6500 for the kit, IC, nelson tune, and fuel system upgrades. Nice attractive base price, but like a damn car, option it up a little and you are through the roof. I thought that was really high. And that didnt even include installation. Looks like I can get the livonia kit and have it installed and tuned for probably under $6k even.

Edited by Black2003SS (see edit history)

Whats wrong with STS?  Why don't we talk about them around her emuch anymore?  Someone's engine go boom?

They seemed a little high on the pricing.  I was quoted $6500 for the kit, IC, nelson tune, and fuel system upgrades.  Nice attractive base price, but like a damn car, option it up a little and you are through the roof.  I thought that was really high.  And that didnt even include installation.  Looks like I can get the livonia kit and have it installed and tuned for probably under $6k even.

Do some homework on the STS rear mounts here on the forum before you jump off the bridge.. there is alot to be said about those and chassis dyno's

these are front mounted. notice how we dont talk about STS here much any more :dunno::dunno::dunno::jester::jester:

yeah i knew they were front mounted, thats why i said screw the rear mount...however the GT70 will handle more power than the detroit.

As for the talking about STS i think im the only one that has been to the track with an SS here....kinda wish erik would go to see some numbers.

yeah i knew they were front mounted, thats why i said screw the rear mount...however the GT70 will handle more power than the detroit.

As for the talking about STS i think im the only one that has been to the track with an SS here....kinda wish erik would go to see some numbers.

i dont think he has the sts anymore. chpspeacial is the only other one with the sts!

i dont think he has the sts anymore. chpspeacial is the only other one with the sts!

NICE!!!

Truthfully, I wasn't to impressed with STS. they were nice and followed up well with my questions, but price and some things the rep said made me raise an eyebrow.

Let me elaborate on this. When I asked how much power and what kind of times I would see, I was told some pretty wierd numbers like 12.9@ 118mph and stuff like that. Thats what made me raise my ebrows. Also, They wanted to play games with pricing on me. They have financing and that is full retail price, but they wouldn't give me the special "cash" price until I would commit. I think their customer service would be good, but I do question the power output. If I can tow with the livonia turbo, I am going to go that route if I can get it done for under $6k.

I would love to do a radix, but I know I would be $8k by the time it was buttoned up with headers, tune, install, exhaust, etc.

Thanks for the advice guys.

Edited by Black2003SS (see edit history)

ohps and turbobeserker, but like someone said sts trucks dont make it to  track to often  :jester:

:lol: stop it!!! if you want to see the sts *TRUCKS* then go to performancetrucks.net, just because there are only 3 of us here with STS and an SS doesnt mean they dont go to the track that often. I have been to the track 2 times total. 1 before my sts and once after. I didnt go to the track often before my STS. Ive had my truck for almost 3.5 years now. So yeah if you wanna say STS trucks dont go to the track often you might as well say SS's dont go to the track often based on my experience :P

as for the pricing issue, who knows sounds like any other business...i actually got mine straight from STS when i told them id order it via Tbryne.