Brake problem

So, a guy here at work has a 2002 Silverado and when you turn the wheel all the way to one side the brakes go out. They put it up on the rack and it's not pinching a line or anything. I was thinking it was a vacuum problem, but how would the vacuum be affected by the steering? Anybody have any ideas what would cause the brakes to go out when the wheel is turned all the way to one side? ABS? I don't know! :dunno:

I assume it's the front brakes that are failing... Is it a 3/4-ton truck with a combination hydraulic power steering/brake assist gone bad? Another idea, maybe the ABS is grounding out or breaking connection, causing the ABS control circuit to interrupt fluid pressure to the caliper? :dunno: Just a WAG...

Mr. P.

Edited by misterp (see edit history)

Is this a low brake pedal while driving after making a turn? If so, does brake pedal return to normal height after pumping the brake pedal a few times? Is there any grinding noise in the front wheel area? Yes to the above could indicate a worn or loose frt wheel hub or bearing.

Is this a low brake pedal while driving after making a turn? If so, does brake pedal return to normal height after pumping the brake pedal a few times? Is there any grinding noise in the front wheel area?  Yes to the above could indicate a worn or loose frt wheel hub or bearing.

No, you pump the pedal and it's still soft. It doesn't come back until you straighten the wheel out.

I assume it's the front brakes that are failing...  Is it a 3/4-ton truck with a combination hydraulic power steering/brake assist gone bad?  Another idea, maybe the ABS is grounding out or breaking connection, causing the ABS control circuit to interrupt fluid pressure to the caliper? :dunno: Just a WAG...

Mr. P.

It possibly could be all of the brakes that are failing, because you can't stop. It's like the brakes are gone. It's a 1/2 ton truck. How could we find out if the ABS is grounding out or breaking connection?

If it's a hydraboost system I would get it replaced. We got an 05 suburban at work and as soon as you made a right or a left the brakes would apply. I know it's kinda the opposite but anything is possible.

What is a hydraboost system? And how do I find out if this truck has it?

Is this a low brake pedal while driving after making a turn? If so, does brake pedal return to normal height after pumping the brake pedal a few times? Is there any grinding noise in the front wheel area?  Yes to the above could indicate a worn or loose frt wheel hub or bearing.

No, you pump the pedal and it's still soft. It doesn't come back until you straighten the wheel out.

I failed to word my post correctly...I meant, pedal low or falls to floor first stop after making a turn and then if you pump the pedal the brake pedal will come up until the next turn....what can happen (may or may not be your concern) is that if there is excessive play in a front wheel bearing and you make a turn the force of the loose rotor can push the caliper piston back in its bore.