Good drivers

CaliChevyV8

So alot of people say some don't know how to drive a truck in a race and thats why they lost. :dunno: I am just curious and wanna know so I can drive good in a race, what are good techniques for drivin an automatic truck well and to its full potential?

I've tried to search for my answers but my choice of words aren't comin up with much :happysad:

Thanks guys

zippy posted a good write up on launching these trucks.  I dont remember where it was :dunno:

I think that had more to do with launching with a Radix.

However, I always seem to have better result using a similar method, which was don't stall it to the maximum. Stall the convertor to about 75% of the maximum, this will allow it to flash to the maximum, after you floor it, which seems to get our trucks out of the hole the best. :thumbs:

zippy posted a good write up on launching these trucks.  I dont remember where it was :dunno:

However, I always seem to have better result using a similar method, which was don't stall it to the maximum. Stall the convertor to about 75% of the maximum, this will allow it to flash to the maximum, after you floor it, which seems to get our trucks out of the hole the best. :thumbs:

:withstupid: thats how i get my best 60 ft's and usually best et's. awd is a bit easier since you dont have to worry about tire spin. When driving a manual trans its alot different though. that takes some skill.Automatics are pretty easy , if you start putting down some serious power though your always going to have to worry about traction in a 2wd thats why traction bars and slicks are important for the big hp 2wd guys!

:withstupid: And start with the shift lever in 1st gear, it's healthier for the tranny as it adds fluid pressure over a start in Drive; once you are underway bump the shift lever into top gear.

Mr. P.

:withstupid: thats how i get my best 60 ft's and usually best et's. awd is a bit easier since you dont have to worry about tire spin. When driving a manual trans its alot different though. that takes some skill.Automatics are pretty easy , if you start putting down some serious power though your always going to have to worry about traction in a 2wd thats why traction bars and slicks are important for the big hp 2wd guys!

I can launch in 4WD and switch to 2WD like you told me chase. So besides keeping traction what else are some good driving tips. Maybe not hittin the gas to the floor and easing it :dunno: hope I don't sound too dumb, jus tryin to get get some advice :D

I can launch in 4WD and switch to 2WD like you told me chase. So besides keeping traction what else are some good driving tips. Maybe not hittin the gas to the floor and easing it :dunno: hope I don't sound too dumb, jus tryin to get get some advice :D

since you rnot putting down any big power i would try both and see what works best or you. thats what makes going to the track so much fun is working on your techniques, once you start putting down power that makes you spin alot out of the whole you will want to launch in 4 . does your truck have traction control? i

In my old 4WD, if you lauched in 4WD and shifted to 2WD, it would not come out of 4WD until you released the gas. So shifting back down while under power wouldn't help. Unless the GM 4WDs are different nowadays. You should be able to feel the shift.

:withstupid: And start with the shift lever in 1st gear, it's healthier for the tranny as it adds fluid pressure over a start in Drive; once you are underway bump the shift lever into top gear.

Mr. P.

I would rather go with the side of caution and not try to shift while in a race, especially over a couple of gears. Miss the shift while you're worrying about everything else and potentially damage your tranny. Not worth it to me. There have been some tranny failures on here from manually shifting over the years.

I'll jus keep it in one gear. It lets me shift from 4WD to 2WD while moving, the little light on the button flashes for a bit then changes. To be honest guys, the only racing I'll be doin for the beggining of my truck is just against my buddies or other guys at stoplights around town.

i remember watching vids of parish launching his truck with 4wd first, then shifting to 2wd. it was amazing how that truck pulled off the line in 4wd.

also, how bout' those that are pcm tuned, does using the tow/haul mode make any difference?

-ejay

i remember watching vids of parish launching his truck with 4wd first, then shifting to 2wd. it was amazing how that truck pulled off the line in 4wd.

also, how bout' those that are pcm tuned, does using the tow/haul mode make any difference?

-ejay

Thats a good question, I'm gettin my PCM from bryan in the mail tomorrow! I wonder if the tow/haul mode does change much?