Took off the badges

I wouldn't wrap dental floss around my finger to get the badges off ... I would like to keep them attached ... use a pencil or small piece of something to wrap the floss around ...

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems like I read once that you can use waxed dental floss to remove badging. You just wrap it around your fingers and slide it behind the badge and use a sawing motion to cut through the double-sided tape. Don't know what you would use to get the rest of the tape loose from the paint though?! Goof-off maybe? :dunno:

My emotions on this project went - :D...:)...:crackup:...:mad:...:banghead: Goof-off....I wish it would work. I went from trying to peel the stuff off with my fingers...to trying goof-off (which did absolutely nothing)...to using high concentrate alchohol stuff (which did the best, but is dangerous on paint), then back to picking at it with my fingers and rubbing with a rag... PITA!

SilveradoEsEs, don't take offense about the goof-off. Not trying to put you down or anything...just wanted to get my point across that goof-off doesn't work on this stuff, seems like it would sticky stuff + goof-off = no sticky stuff, but nope! Maybe it was just because mine is really fresh and new?

If you would have used a hair dryer to heat up the stuff ... most of it would have come off ... the goo be gone only works on the actually stick stuff ... not the middle part ... in my experiences.

I borrowed my buddies heat gun and used it to get the actual badge off, melted the badge more then it loosened the badge. Then had to hand pick all the foam tape off. Then for the actual sticky stuff, I just had to end up using a little alchohol paint thinner stuff little by little. ...Thats how it goes though! Some stuff goes easy, and some stuff doen't!

I borrowed my buddies heat gun and used it to get the actual badge off, melted the badge more then it loosened the badge. Then had to hand pick all the foam tape off. Then for the actual sticky stuff, I just had to end up using a little alchohol paint thinner stuff little by little.  ...Thats how it goes though! Some stuff goes easy, and some stuff doen't!

Wow that rough .... I debadge my Ford work truck and just used the good old hair dryer and the goo be gone ... no problems whatso ever ... tough break man :cheers:

Be prepared for a lot of damaging door dings ... instead of hitting the molding ... they are hitting metal

Thats not good, nobody better be hittin it in the first place though :nono:

I agree ... but I am just giving you full disclosure about what people bitch about after taking them off.

I say take em off if you can, cause either way your gonna get dings and if not in your doors, then in your bed like me :banghead:

The only last way you can tell its got the MAX in it, is from the cut on the end of the exhaust. Its got an angle to it and 5.3's dont, thats kinda what i look at when i race the wannabe "vhos" mostly dark blue with the same 20s. But with yours having the stock 17s, how do you get any traction? I barely do with the stock 20's which gotta be at least 3 inches wider?

But the truck looks good, i really like that color :thumbs::thumbs:

I just thought I'd add to this post, because I took my dealership badge off today. It came off real easy with a hairdryer, but there was lots of sticky stuff left behind. I went upstairs and got some of those alcohol swabs out of my dad's glucose meter bag. Those brought all the sticky stuff right off. I thought I'd be there for an hour getting it all off, but it actually only took like 10 min. I had a harder time getting the sticky stuff off my hands. I figure that the actual emblem sticky stuff is harder to get off though. Just thought I'd share. :D

• 5 months later...
I like it.  If you take off the mouldings it would look cleaner in my opinion.

:withstupid:

lose the moldings and it would look better.

Survey says" no moldings" .

Alright, they are finally off! And the windows tinted too, I'll have some new pics once I clean it up and put the black wheels on later this week :thumbs:

I know what you've got; Got to lower that truck  :crackup:

I've removed emblems with a heat gun, but be careful not to cook the paint.  I use Desolve-It to take off adheisive  :thumbs:

Already dropped the rear 2", low enough for me. Gotta be able to get my quad around at the desert!