Hot climate and the Radix

I live in Arizona. I read 108 degrees on my rear view mirror temp gauge the other day. I just installed a radix on my truck and I am wondering how much better it would perform if I didnt live in such a hot state. I was told when it cools down in the winter the radix will really shine. In the mean time, am I driving around with a under achieving supercharger??

I live in Arizona. I read 108 degrees on my rear view mirror temp gauge the other day. I just installed a radix on my truck and I am wondering how much better it would perform if I didnt live in such a hot state. I was told when it cools down in the winter the radix will really shine. In the mean time, am I driving around with a under achieving supercharger??

In the meantime, you are running FI with extremely hot ambient conditions :) Anything you can do to help reduce your IATs (90mm conversion, bigger heat exchanger, all those other nifty radish mods) will help your truck perform a bit better in the heat. Mainly you just need to run better gas (more octane), a little meth, or reduce your timing.

Don't forget every time you use boost, you create more heat and there is something that happens called heat soak. The supercharger retains more and more heat after each WOT run. So every pass at the track will become slower until a certain point is reached. When running the M90 superchargers on the grand prixs we had the same problems. We would put bags of ice on the blowers and allow 1 hour in between each pass.

Moral is...don't use boost until you need it!

Even a N/A truck will feel effects of the heat. Superchared/TurboCharged/Nitrous/NA, they will all act different with the higher ambient temps. As for the heat soak, I have yet to see any difference in track times with back to back to back runs......so I am not too sure where you got that info/theroy from but it has not and does not hold true with a properly tuned vehicle.

I beg to differ with you on that one. Just about everyoen of the supercharged grand prixs have had the problem. Very well documented on www.clubgp.com. Times would get worse by as much .5 seconds by hot lapping. Maybe its different in those cars, but I do know what I am talking about when it comes to the grand prixs. If it doesn't hold true for the radix and silverados, great. LS1 engines do have different and arguably better cooling than the L67 3800 seriesII engines.

I beg to differ with you on that one.  Just about everyoen of the supercharged grand prixs have had the problem.  Very well documented on www.clubgp.com.  Times would get worse by as much .5 seconds by hot lapping.  Maybe its different in those cars, but I do know what I am talking about when it comes to the grand prixs.  If it doesn't hold true for the radix and silverados, great.  LS1 engines do have different and arguably better cooling than the L67 3800 seriesII engines.

Ok, so you are comparing a non intercooled M90 to an intercooled MP112 that has been tuned for the variances in temprature? As for knowing the GP's, I do not doubt your knowlege. When it comes to the supercharged trucks and cars with the LSX motors, you are wrong about the "heat soak".

So basically, if I go to the track with my MP112 and run back to back, I should be within a tenth every run?  Thats awesome.

On hot nights...I'd like to see that tested. I don't doubt it necessarily, but not many on here have gone for better times on 80+ degree nights. Icing and hooking up a switch for the i/c pump would help a lot.

...Don't want to take sides here but I see a noticeable difference at the track as well as the dyno with heat soak.

I see as much as .3 in the 1/4 mile and 15 peak HP on the dyno doing "hot laps" A nice cool down between runs does help.

One thing I will agree on though is that if the intercooler is left on while after a run along with your fans, the recoup time is much shorter (20 mins). make sure you have a battery charger though :lol: Found that one out the hard way ;)

So basically, if I go to the track with my MP112 and run back to back, I should be within a tenth every run?  Thats awesome.

yes, infact I've hot-lapped for a 1/2 hour straight in 90+ degree temps, with witnesses............my truck is VERY consistant, however, BlownChevy's is even more so......I have 80+ 1/4 mile passes worth of experience on my setup :cheers: