Chevy trivia questions

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have a good group here :thumbs:

Distributor is the one I was looking for as it's

least obvious. I've had people tell me the distributor won't interchange :jester:

motor mounts carb are the most obvious

Flexplates question

Diameters and number of teeth: the most common ones used

We have a good group here  :thumbs:

Distributor is the one I was looking for as it's

least obvious. I've had people tell me the distributor won't interchange  :jester:

motor mounts carb are the most obvious

Flexplates question

Diameters and number of teeth:  the most common ones used

168 Tooth Big/small only # ever used on 400 sb and 454 Staggered bolt starter

153 tooth Most common on older sbcs 283/327/307/350 etc

All int balanced flexplates fly wheels will interchange (as long as they are 2 piece seal)

Dave

What was the highest stock horsepower rating for a ZL1?

2 Corvettes were produced with this motor, one was totalled, and the other one is in the Corvette Museum.

The 1969 Camaro ZL 1 had an all aluminum block and heads 427 which was factory rated at 430 hp... but actually pumped out over 530 with a tune and headers. 69 were built

Then there was the COPO 9561 Camaro which had a 427 ci cast iron engine... or something like that.

Both were stripped down Camaros known as sleepers... very plain and deceptive. Dragstrip sleepers for sure. :chevy:

Who was Chevrolet names after? and what was the first chevy ever?

Louis Chevrolet!!!!!!!!!

He was a Christmas baby!

Wasn't the first "Chevrolet" back in 1912?

correct. Louis Chevrolet was a race car driver for Buick, GM's first division. But Billy Durant got kicked out of GM. so he went to Louis Chevrolet and the two of them with someone else (dont remember who) designed the first chevrolet the classic 6. It was so successful that Durant had enough money to buy back GM and in turn made Chevrolet a division of GM.

If you look at the history of american car builders. They are all linked in some way shape for form. Nash was the head of GM in the 20's Cadillac was originally FORD! but Henry Ford went bankrupt and the shareholders took the company and made it Cadillac which was later a division of GM. Buick was Bought by Billy durant in I think 1909? and was so popular that Billy Durant bought Oldsmobile and made GM to house all the car companies he was buying.

Just an FWIW, Dodge was originally making parts for Henry Ford. But the brothers made their own car and later went on to make dodge trucks. Chrysler was the VP of GM in 1916 and in 1925 made his own car company. Pontiac was originally called Oakland but was bought by Billy Durant and changed to Pontiac.

I did a HUGE car history thing for the american car makers over at carforums.net

Nick

What was the highest stock horsepower rating for a ZL1?

2 Corvettes were produced with this motor, one was totalled, and the other one is in the Corvette Museum.

There were 3 built. One was an automatic for testing. The other two are still around. One yellow and one white.

Who was Chevrolet names after? and what was the first chevy ever?

Louis Chevrolet!!!!!!!!!

He was a Christmas baby!

Wasn't the first "Chevrolet" back in 1912?

correct. Louis Chevrolet was a race car driver for Buick, GM's first division. But Billy Durant got kicked out of GM. so he went to Louis Chevrolet and the two of them with someone else (dont remember who) designed the first chevrolet the classic 6. It was so successful that Durant had enough money to buy back GM and in turn made Chevrolet a division of GM.

If you look at the history of american car builders. They are all linked in some way shape for form. Nash was the head of GM in the 20's Cadillac was originally FORD! but Henry Ford went bankrupt and the shareholders took the company and made it Cadillac which was later a division of GM. Buick was Bought by Billy durant in I think 1909? and was so popular that Billy Durant bought Oldsmobile and made GM to house all the car companies he was buying.

Just an FWIW, Dodge was originally making parts for Henry Ford. But the brothers made their own car and later went on to make dodge trucks. Chrysler was the VP of GM in 1916 and in 1925 made his own car company. Pontiac was originally called Oakland but was bought by Billy Durant and changed to Pontiac.

I did a HUGE car history thing for the american car makers over at carforums.net

Nick

So... Where did Louis Chevrolet come up with idea of the Bowtie, for an emblem?