Chevy trivia questions

In the 1960s I believe 400 CID was the limit mid size cars

1969/1970 the limit was increased to 455 mid size cars

500CID large car/ corporate limit all cars

:dunno:

sooo, whats a ZL1, Copo, or Yenko considered?

chevelle, nova, or camaro?

~Brian :dunno:

Those cars were built as special order vehicles to certain

"customers" not available to the general public and against the

mandate set by GM. Don Yenko(sYc), Fred Gibbs(ZL-1) are a couple of the people who had connections to GM to get these cars built, but were not employees of GM.

Yenko was pulling 396s out of Chevelles, Camaros and replacing them with 427 "crate" motors once the cars arrived at his dealership. 1969 he finally convinced someone to build the cars at the plant with the 427 already installed.

Novas carried 396 in 1969/1970. Yenko did offer 427 Novas as did Nickey Chevrolet in Chicago as well as some others. They found the channels to circumvent the maximum displacement mandate imposed by GM. Ford and Chrysler did not have the same restrictions during this time.

Crazy probably has some more info on this as well :thumbs:

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q: in the 1960's GM imposed a limit on engine sizes in their intermediate cars - how many cubic-inches was this restriction set at?

Mr. P. :)

455 CI
Nope :nonod:

The question does say GM (not Chevy) and intermediate size. So that's why I was thinking the 68 Cutlass with the 455. Was there something bigger? :dunno:

I wouldn't consider Cadillac with there 472's & 500's midsize cars. :sigh:

Q: in the 1960's GM imposed a limit on engine sizes in their intermediate cars - how many cubic-inches was this restriction set at?

455 CI

The question does say GM (not Chevy) and intermediate size. So that's why I was thinking the 68 Cutlass with the 455. Was there something bigger? :dunno:

IIRC, all the 455 Cutlasses were sourced to Hurst, with Dr. Oldsmobile's blessing.

Final assembly done by Hurst as a limited production vehicle, paint, shifter, headers, ignition etc. If you ordered from GM, 400 CID was itunless you ordered the Hurst option package

455 CI

Hurst/Olds cars were available 68/69 with the 455, while they WERE Hurst cars, they still were more or less walking around the GM corporate 400ci midsize rules... "Cheating" to get their way! :lol:

In the 1960s I believe 400 CID was the limit mid size cars

1969/1970 the limit was increased to 455 mid size cars

500CID large car/ corporate limit all cars

sooo, whats a ZL1, Copo, or Yenko considered?

chevelle, nova, or camaro?

~Brian :dunno:

The Yenko/Motion etc type cars were DEALERSHIP cars, modified by certain dealerships. Not factory production cars. They came with mags, scoops, you name it.

Weird thing about the ZL1 cars- correct me if I am mistaken- the ZL1 Corvettes were "RPO" cars, while the ZL1 Camaros were "COPO" cars. The ZL-1 Camaros are allowed to run in the "F.A.S.T." type racing, while the ZL1 Corvette is BANNED. The reason being the "lightweight" rule- The ZL1 Corvette is considered a "lightweight" version of an L88 Corvette, but the ZL1 Camaro is NOT considered a lightweight car?

:confused:

The real FAST Hemi MoPars are the same way- no 1964/1965 Hemi cars are allowed to run, no Hemi Darts, no 1968 Hemi Barracudas etc etc.

The cars can be CLONE cars, can have non stock parts and pieces etc, but no headers- even if they came stock on a vehicle, even if they had a part#, even if they were "part" cast iron, and "part" steel tubing.