TB converter install time...

Well, I'm a few weeks away from attempting my TB converter installation and wanted to know if I should take the time to take pictures of everything or not. I couldn't find a "How To" anywhere on it, so I thought I'd throw this out there.

Does anyone have any other last minute tips before diving in? Extra parts that I *need*, like gaskets, torque to yeild bolts, or anything else that could be unforeseen? I know I need the basics, like fluid/filter... I've searched and found the basics, but nothing really in depth regarding anyone else's self installs...

Just for reference, in my version of the converter installation, I will be lowering the trans/transfer case as one unit with a cheap Harbor Freight trans jack and assistance from a friend. Beyond that, it's only nuts and bolts!

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

are you doing a shift kit at the same time??

spray your exhaust bolt now, one broke on mine and it might have been the tuffest part of getting the TC down.

Are you using a lift??? to move the two together it might be necessary to have the truck up.

I almost lost a gasket that was between the tc and the trans, but it was not bad enought to not reuse, close.

Do it with help, it will make it a bit easier to move that heavy stuff around.

Becareful when you slide on the converter, my finger got caught :(

Fluid??? I used more that we had planned.

We(they) pulled the trans pan to get the fluid out, not the drain plug, it is too shallow.

you will notice a differenc as soon as you put it in, the gas will be more directly connected with the truck moving.

The center trans bolt is a stud that hold something :dunno: and it is a PITA to get off at the back of the engine.

engine oil dipstick was not too easy comming off either.

I dont know youre miles but Zippy told me replacing it was not necessary I was at 20k and we reused the stock one and added new fluid.

Just some thoughts...let us know how it turns out.

take pics. I would like to see some shots of the install. A TBTC is in my future so any pics and tips you post will help me a ton. Are you adding a trans cooler soon after? Most I've read say it's good to add a trans cooler after adding a TC. Good luck :cheers:

No, I'm not doing the shift kit at the same time, no need to as the tranny pan isn't coming off for this install. The truck will be on jack stands (truck sized ones that can lift it high enough to clear). The trans will be lowered to the ground and the converter slipped in right there under the truck, then reinstalled.

BTW, are you talking about the top center trans bolt being a stud?

I wasn't aware the engine oil dipstick had to come out to drop the trans... the trans dipstick I could see, but the engine oil dipstick?!?!?!

SSThunder, no upgraded cooler will be added unless temps get out of hand after the install. The TB converter doesn't add enough slippage to really bring on the heat in most cases like a higher stall would. It also depends on how much towing you do (me = none) and which climate you live in (me = midwest). Anything under about 200 degrees max temps and I'd be happy.

why no shift kit? or cooler, they seem like small $$ for the reward/added duability :dunno:

broke bolt was JFYI, and yes I jsuty fixed it with a bolt.

yes, on the top of the trans bellhousing it is a stud that holds some wires or something??? you will need a deep socket, and a few extentions, and a u-joint to reach it from the back/bottom. maybe some tape to wrap the u-joint and make it not move around so much.

why no shift kit?  or cooler, they seem like small $$ for the reward/added duability :dunno:

broke bolt was JFYI, and yes I jsuty fixed it with a bolt.

yes, on the top of the trans bellhousing it is a stud that holds some wires or something???  you will need a deep socket, and a few extentions, and a u-joint to reach it from the back/bottom. maybe some tape to wrap the u-joint and make it not move around so much.

Most people running the TB converter report no heat problems with it. If it's not needed, it's a waste of time/money. If I'm not comfortable with my trans temps after swapping it out, a larger cooler will go on.

The shift kit will go in eventually. I have to get the "two person" stuff done first so that I'm not wasting any of my friend's time as he's just as busy as I am. I can handle the pan work myself, so it will be done at a separate time. Being basically stock, I'm not to worried about turning up the line pressure physically just yet. I've got tuning in it right now to up the line pressure and I don't have my own EFI-Live *yet* to change those settings back in order to be ready for the physical line pressure changes...

The only thing extra I remember purchasing where new collector gaskets from the dealer ($20). Do spray the exhaust collector bolts with WD40 or Liquid Wrench 3 days prior then again 12-hrs prior, it made all the difference in the world on my converter install. Doing the 'vette servo while the tranny is out is hundreds of times easier, if you can afford to do this I would *highly* recommend it as there is almost no clearance after the tranny is back in the truck.

Mr. P.

The only thing extra I remember purchasing where new collector gaskets from the dealer ($20).  Do spray the exhaust collector bolts with WD40 or Liquid Wrench 3 days prior then again 12-hrs prior, it made all the difference in the world on my converter install.  Doing the 'vette servo while the tranny is out is hundreds of times easier, if you can afford to do this I would *highly* recommend it as there is almost no clearance after the tranny is back in the truck.

Mr. P.

Is there a "how to" for the vette servo? Or is it easy enough that nobody needs one? I have the parts, but hadn't planned on doing it yet, but will if it's that much easier with it out...

Nobody has taken the time to do any how-tos about tranny R&R, converter R&R, shift kit install, or servos install. I think that someone with enough time could probably document the tranny/converter how-to, and a separate servo install how-to. But the shift-kit how-tos are going to be kit specific, and even then some installations of the exact same kit will differ, depending on the installer. As an example - I know that TransGo has made a video documenting installation of their shift kit, but does not include extra steps like new/redrilled separator plate, etc. So I dunno on the shift-kit installs. Another good idea would be a tranny cooler how-to.

Mr. P.

Nobody has taken the time to do any how-tos about tranny R&R, converter R&R, shift kit install, or servos install.  I think that someone with enough time could probably document the tranny/converter how-to, and a separate servo install how-to.  But the shift-kit how-tos are going to be kit specific, and even then some installations of the exact same kit will differ, depending on the installer.  As an example - I know that TransGo has made a video documenting installation of their shift kit, but does not include extra steps like new/redrilled separator plate, etc.  So I dunno on the shift-kit installs.  Another good idea would be a tranny cooler how-to.

Mr. P.

Yeah, hopefully I can figure out what the servo installation would take. Is there a rebuild manual for our tranny's on Ebay that's any good? Is it on CD ROM? Goodness sakes... I'm so drunk right now I can't even remember what trans I have... O.K., time to put down the Jack and back away from the internet. Good night Gracie... :sick:

Nobody has taken the time to do any how-tos about tranny R&R, converter R&R, shift kit install, or servos install.  I think that someone with enough time could probably document the tranny/converter how-to, and a separate servo install how-to.  But the shift-kit how-tos are going to be kit specific, and even then some installations of the exact same kit will differ, depending on the installer.  As an example - I know that TransGo has made a video documenting installation of their shift kit, but does not include extra steps like new/redrilled separator plate, etc.  So I dunno on the shift-kit installs.  Another good idea would be a tranny cooler how-to.

Mr. P.

Yeah, hopefully I can figure out what the servo installation would take. Is there a rebuild manual for our tranny's on Ebay that's any good? Is it on CD ROM? Goodness sakes... I'm so drunk right now I can't even remember what trans I have... O.K., time to put down the Jack and back away from the internet. Good night Gracie... :sick:

The vette servos are very easy and as Zippy recommended get the billet 4th piston and cover for more holding power. As far as the vette install goes it is very easy and I see no need to have a how too especially if you get the billet 4th piston and cover because there is a picture of the entire stack up in case you forget how it goes together. One thing to not is that there is a steel cover over a spring with a snap ring that holds the cover inplace inside one of the pistons, this needs to be removed and reinstalled in the vette piston. The easiest way to remove your servos is piece by piece. Take a long pry bar maybe 24" long and push the cover into the trans prying against the exhaust. Then use a pick or small screw driver to pry out the large retainer ring. Then pry out the stock cover which can be a PITA. then remove the frst piston which will damn near fall out. Then there is a snap ring on the pin that needs to be removed then there is a washer and a spring. (that snap ring will probably give you hell) Then pull the next tow pistons out and thats it. Switch over the snap ring, steel cover and spring into the vette servo then reinstall the stack just as you removed it all. Be sure that the retainer ring for the cover is snapped in COMPLETELY!!! If it's not it will more than likely blow the cover off and damage the case. I had this happen on my SS and I was lucky the trans destryoed itself after I reinstalled the servos, I was able to get it warrantied. LOL they told me it was a defective case! :crackup:

Mr. P.

The vette servos are very easy and as Zippy recommended get the billet 4th piston and cover for more holding power. As far as the vette install goes it is very easy and I see no need to have a how too especially if you get the billet 4th piston and cover because there is a picture of the entire stack up in case you forget how it goes together. One thing to not is that there is a steel cover over a spring with a snap ring that holds the cover inplace inside one of the pistons, this needs to be removed and reinstalled in the vette piston. The easiest way to remove your servos is piece by piece. Take a long pry bar maybe 24" long and push the cover into the trans prying against the exhaust. Then use a pick or small screw driver to pry out the large retainer ring. Then pry out the stock cover which can be a PITA. then remove the frst piston which will damn near fall out. Then there is a snap ring on the pin that needs to be removed then there is a washer and a spring. (that snap ring will probably give you hell) Then pull the next tow pistons out and thats it. Switch over the snap ring, steel cover and spring into the vette servo then reinstall the stack just as you removed it all. Be sure that the retainer ring for the cover is snapped in COMPLETELY!!! If it's not it will more than likely blow the cover off and damage the case. I had this happen on my SS and I was lucky the trans destryoed itself after I reinstalled the servos, I was able to get it warrantied. LOL they told me it was a defective case! :crackup:

So, with this install, do you recommend just getting the pin extender and counting on using it? Or only with the billet 4th piston?

Mr. P.

So, with this install, do you recommend just getting the pin extender and counting on using it? Or only with the billet 4th piston?

I didn't need the pin extender :dunno: