TB converter install time...

The engine oil dipstick does not need to come out. When you pull the tranny dipstick, pull it just enough to lower the tranny and let it hang there. I pulled mine all the way out and it was a bitch trying to get that thing back in.

There are c-clip type pieces that hold your tranny lines in. Once you pop those off, the tranny lines pull right out. They are small and you'll probably disfigure them slightly, so better to get new ones. Zippy can get you the part #s.

One suggestion I would consider. The tranny comes out 10 times faster with your intake off. I think if I would have done that when I did mine, I would have been done quite a bit faster. Doesn't seem like it would be faster.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The engine oil dipstick does not need to come out.  When you pull the tranny dipstick, pull it just enough to lower the tranny and let it hang there.  I pulled mine all the way out and it was a bitch trying to get that thing back in.

There are c-clip type pieces that hold your tranny lines in.  Once you pop those off, the tranny lines pull right out.  They are small and you'll probably disfigure them slightly, so better to get new ones.  Zippy can get you the part #s.

One suggestion I would consider.  The tranny comes out 10 times faster with your intake off.  I think if I would have done that when I did mine, I would have been done quite a bit faster.  Doesn't seem like it would be faster.

Thanks for the tips! :thumbs:

As for taking the intake off, does that improve reaching the top tranny to engine bolts, or does it do something else?

Ben did you lower your tranny in the back when reaching for the top bolt and it would still be faster with the intake off?

I'm asking since I have everything but the tranny and the xfer case out of the truck as we speak lol.

I'm going to be changing the intake anyway in a few weeks, but the truck is waaaay up in the air...

No, my tranny was not lowered in the rear when I put the bolts in the first time I had the tranny out.

Removing the intake just allows easy access to the bolts on top. Very easy access. I have had my motor out twice since I did my TC install. Getting to those top bolts from underneath is a major pain. Getting the intake off takes about 10min and that's taking a break halfway through.

I also have electric fans, which allows easier access from the top. I just stand on the crossmember just below the engine and reach back there. Painless.

What is your motor out for Erik?

The motor is still in, but the tranny is coming out ;) Going 2wd with an 80E.

I lowered the read of the tranny and got the top DS bolt out painlessly wiht a 40" extention and a swivel adaptor.

How many bolts total? I've been told 6, but already have 7 out and can't seem to walk the tranny of the pins. Are there 2 bolts at the very top of the bell? One DS and one PS?

We think the tabs broke. No 3rd or 4th, the fluid smelled a little burnt when I drianed it, but no obvious breaks -- pulling away from a stop sign (normal driving) it just free reved in D and 3.

Talked to Chuck about it and decided on the 80E this time. I'm waaaay past the power limits he puts on the 65E, plus the 100* summers...

Dropping the AWD to lighten the load, and also because Chuck took one apart recently from a lightly modded vehicle that was already 1/2 gone... I'm going bullet proof this time :)

Thanks to Ben's advice, Zippy's advice, and Beserker's troubles, I will be pulling the intake manifold and starter/dipstick to get everything out of the way that I can. I also purchased a tranny jack adapter for my floor jack. We'll see how well that works as long as it gets here this week like Harbor Freight said it would. Countdown until this Saturday... :thumbs:

Thanks to Ben's advice, Zippy's advice, and Beserker's troubles, I will be pulling the intake manifold and starter/dipstick to get everything out of the way that I can. I also purchased a tranny jack adapter for my floor jack. We'll see how well that works as long as it gets here this week like Harbor Freight said it would. Countdown until this Saturday... :thumbs:

If you aren't pulling the tranny completely out of the truck, it should be fine. I got the rolling tranny jack from HF (59 bucks) but with the truck up in the air 18" there's no way to get the jack out from under the truck with the tranny on it ;) I took it off the jack and slid it to the side of the truck, then lifted the rear of the tranny high enough to clear the bell under the frame rail. Slid right out ;)

I used just a floor jack - no special tranny devices and had zero problems. I did use a couple of pieces of wood. The problem with a device, I didn't know this until after all was said and done, is like Erik mentioned, getting the bell housing to clear the truck is the problem. I also ended up setting the tranny flat on the driveway and scooting it out.

Personally, since it was my first time ever touching a TC, I wanted it out of there to ensure I got it in right and heard it passing over the 3 seals. Not to mention that was when I also added my shift kit and servo.

Yeah, I've done several converters before and know how to "feel" it's way into the pump housing and seals. I learned that one the hard way on my '77 TA 455/turbo 400 build when I cracked the pump "tangs" trying to tighten the trans to the engine, then realized something wasn't seated properly. I figured it out halfway through tightening the trans/engine bolts, then loosened them up to seat the converter all the way in, but didn't realize I had cracked the tangs. The pump only lasted about 50 miles before the tangs sheared off and I had to tow the car home to pull the trans again. :cry:

I've crawled under the SS a few times and I think I can handle everything just fine by lowering the trans/transfer case to the ground for the work needed this time. thanks again guys!

No, my tranny was not lowered in the rear when I put the bolts in the first time I had the tranny out.

Removing the intake just allows easy access to the bolts on top.  Very easy access.  I have had my motor out twice since I did my TC install.  Getting to those top bolts from underneath is a major pain.  Getting the intake off takes about 10min and that's taking a break halfway through.

I also have electric fans, which allows easier access from the top.  I just stand on the crossmember just below the engine and reach back there.  Painless.

What is your motor out for Erik?

10 MINUTES?!?! :icon_bs: You must work for a nascar pit crew Ben! It took me all of an hour and I didn't even get a break!

Archived