Big Brakes

bambino

Hey guy's just wondering what big brake kits you guys are running and what you think about them? Do they work with drop spindels (mcghauy). I'm considering getting wilwoods if they work with my set up, so i thought i'd ask the best people i could think of before i call tbyurne in the morning. :thumbs:

I want a kit for the front and rear, some kits i've heard of only make a set for the front. :cool:

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i think willwood have 16 inch rotors and baer has 15 inch , i would want my money in the better calipers though, if you can find 8 piston that would be awesome but dont expect anything inexpensive.

I am running baers 15"s up front with 6 piston calipers and 14" rear disk conversion with 2 pistons in the rear. I must say I am very impressed with them. I just took the truck out last night and drove the hell out of it, I did about 5-6 120-0 stops as fast as I could and it did very very well :thumbs:

Wilwood has 16"! Those are big :) I run them on my Sierra. They look great and do a good job of hauling the truck down. A minimum of 20" wheels are required for these.

The Alumasports are a substantial upgrade from the stock 4-wheel disc brakes and a minimum IMO if you drive hard. But they are not perfect, the bias is off a bit without an adjustable proportioning valve, I have swung the rear loose a couple times :driving::D So the 15" 6-piston Baers on the front combined with 4-piston Baers on the rear (like Jon's VHO) would be about perfect.

Mr. P. :)

The Alumasports are a substantial upgrade from the stock 4-wheel disc brakes and a minimum IMO if you drive hard.  But they are not perfect, the bias is off a bit without an adjustable proportioning valve, I have swung the rear loose a couple times :driving:  :D  So the 15" 6-piston Baers on the front combined with 4-piston Baers on the rear (like Jon's VHO) would be about perfect.

Mr. P. :)

Not to correct you but bear doesn't make 4 pistons for our trucks it's either 2 or 6 up front and only 2 for the rear. I do still get rear lock up now and then but that is because of the way GM applies the brakes from the factory and if you have noticed with the factory brakes they your antilock kicks in way too soon this is because GM applies the rears way sooner than the fronts. I am considering a proportioning valve to turn the rears down a bit to make the fronts work to their full ability.

Not to correct you but bear doesn't make 4 pistons for our trucks it's either 2 or 6 up front and only 2 for the rear. I do still get rear lock up now and then but that is because of the way GM applies the brakes from the factory and if you have noticed with the factory brakes they your antilock kicks in way too soon this is because GM applies the rears way sooner than the fronts. I am considering a proportioning valve to turn the rears down a bit to make the fronts work to their full ability.

Yup you're right, sorry late night logic there; I was thinking and meant dual-piston PBR (Alumasport) calipers.

Go with the Brembo or Willwoods.  They are pricey but a lot better than Baer. IMO

(serious question) how are the high-end Wilwood or Brembo kits better than the high-end Baer kits?

Mr. P.

Go with the Brembo or Willwoods.  They are pricey but a lot better than Baer. IMO

(serious question) how are the high-end Wilwood or Brembo kits better than the high-end Baer kits?

Mr. P.

I know from personal tests that the Willwood big brake truck kit stops much better, have less fade and last longer than the Baer kit. Stainless steel lines are included with the Wilwood package as well. They also fill out the wheels better, IMO.

Based on my past experiences with car kits (camaro, gto and corvette) from Brembo, they out performed Baer every time. Of course the Brembo and Wilwood kits are more $$$ but in this case i guess you get what you pay for, IMO.

If you want to have some of the nicest looking and functional brakes around IMO, buy Wilwoods 16" rotors and cadilac cts-v calipers (made by brembo). Some fabrication will need to be done but you'll get everyone to turn their heads when you drive by.

I will admit that the AlumaSport fronts have a problem with managing the heat; they stop ok enough, but mine are a touch warped now, I think they could be a bit better shedding the excess heat. I've been thinking of buying some ducting for the front brakes to help with this...

Archived