Put her on the dyno today...

CaliChevyV8

Why do you say that, seems like most everyone is happy with thier PCMFORLESS tunes? Mine is good, you just can't achieve perfection through a mail order tune, all trucks are different...

You're exactly right :thumbs: In order to get a mail order tune dialed in you need to log time on your truck and send the logs to the tuner.

Bottom line, for you guys unhappy with your mail order tune, if you don't want all that hp the extra timing gives I am sure the tuner will back it off some. But....don't go complaining about the seemingly lack of power when you do. Log a run at WOT and cruise and let him see how your truck is responding to the changes. From there it should be pretty damn close to where it needs to be.

Hey Ben, how do I log time on my truck for bryan? Not really sure what that means :dunno:

you buy logging software, like efi live or hptuners. then when you get a new tune you just plug it in and upload the tune!! very easy!!

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
another tune PCM4less messed up, hopefully your motor does get hurt cause of tuning

Why do you say that, seems like most everyone is happy with thier PCMFORLESS tunes? Mine is good, you just can't achieve perfection through a mail order tune, all trucks are different...

is the wool over your head? your tune isnt good if youre having issues and producing low numbers sorry but you got bolt ons nothing major and you have issues from his tuning.

youre better off buying software yourself and tuning it yourself

You're exactly right :thumbs: In order to get a mail order tune dialed in you need to log time on your truck and send the logs to the tuner.

Bottom line, for you guys unhappy with your mail order tune, if you don't want all that hp the extra timing gives I am sure the tuner will back it off some. But....don't go complaining about the seemingly lack of power when you do. Log a run at WOT and cruise and let him see how your truck is responding to the changes. From there it should be pretty damn close to where it needs to be.

Extra timing doesn't map linearly to extra power though. If it's advanced beyond the point where peak cylinder pressure occurs at the optimal time, then no extra power will be seen and knock is much more likely to be induced. No mail order tune can provide optimal timing UNLESS the timing values used are based off of a dyno tuned setup that is very similar.

Edit: My experience with my PCMforless timing map. Timing was at the detonation threshold on 93 octane and moving to 91 octane induced knock and lost power.

That is what I was saying, any tuner trys to maximize the power. Therefore, it is usually on the edge. If you don't want it like that then you have to relay that info.

Most people don't do themselves because it involves a lot of time studying and reading about what each change can do. Along with knowing what a change in one particular might affect a different one. It's also easier for most.

An interceptor scan gauge (go to the picture post forum if you don't know what I'm talking about) can provide basic info from scanning that can turn into useful feedback for a tuner. That would be the minimal approach, but would still suffice. Logging software can be a little more costly, especially if you don't have a laptop and more to learn. The programs out there that are capable are EFILive, HPTuners, Autotap, and EASE. There are others, but thoise are the main ones that I'm familiar with.

another tune PCM4less messed up, hopefully your motor does get hurt cause of tuning

is the wool over your head? your tune isnt good if youre having issues and producing low numbers sorry but you got bolt ons nothing major and you have issues from his tuning.

I don't think you're exactly the guy I'd come to for tuning advice. I take it you have bought it yourself and are tuning your own???

I don't think you're exactly the guy I'd come to for tuning advice. I take it you have bought it yourself and are tuning your own???

youre right im one that got a bad tune for a custom setup. as for tuning still awaking ot purchase software. trust me his tune will be publicly known and his low dyno numbers compared to a Ed wright current tune and then a real dyno tune

Unless you don't get on much other sites, I have seen just as many unhappy customers from Ed Wright tunes. EVERY mail order tune has the potential to have issues without that tuner having the on-hands knowledge of how your vehicle performs with it.

It wouldn't matter if the person who did it wrote the code for ALL of the versions of tuning software out there. The potential is still present if the intent is to max out horsepower.

You can't argue that unless you just can't "see" the validity of the statement.

I think Bryan did a good job on his tune. There are just little things that can be brought Closer to perfection, that he couldn't possibly have done in the first place without tuning my truck in person. I don't understand how you guys think he did such a bad job? Shouldn't problems like this be expected in any mail order tune :dunno:

It's not about Brian's tuning. Personally, I wouldn't buy anyone's mailorder tuning but I don't have to either (got the fastest [Mustang] bracket racing speedshop in the country down the street). But the problem as I'm seeing based on the posted dyno sheet is the dyno-operator and nothing else and you weren't even present when it was run.

They didn't correct the test that you were handed (posted) as far as I can see. The graph's distort terribly @5k and in my experience it's attributed to tire vibration. The knock sensors are extremely sensitive and will pick up on all this high speed, high RPM vibration and do their job to adjust timing. Simple as that.

PCM4Less obviously raised your speed limiter and you put down a respectable RWHP# in 3rd gear. Be happy about it. :cheers:

ps. I have 120mph rated tires and if they aren't inflated exactly, they shake too.

Yeah I see what you guys mean about the tire vibration. So if I had new tires that were a higher HP rating that wouldn't happen right? I'm going to get one of the aeroforce interceptor scan gages, that way I'll know how much KR I have all the time! And I can monitor a variety of other things with it :thumbs:

Yeah I see what you guys mean about the tire vibration. So if I had new tires that were a higher HP rating that wouldn't happen right? I'm going to get one of the aeroforce interceptor scan gages, that way I'll know how much KR I have all the time! And I can monitor a variety of other things with it  :thumbs:

I have the same mods that you do and have not noticed any KR w/ my Aoreforce gauge at any throttle position. Just noticed you have 160 stat, don't have that yet.

Archived