6L80 AWD from Escalade

Black2003SS

:dunno: Pretty new and not much info out there yet. Are our PCM's even capable of controlling a six speed transmission? If so, I might start to explroe the option of installing this transmission into my SSS. I know the project would probably require custom mounts, halfshafts/driveshafts. I would expect the project to cost at least $5,000 -$7,000, but I would happily lay down that kind of money for that transmission. I have friend who works at performance shop who says it about the same size as a 4L80E, and would only require minimal modification to get it to bolt up, I would only be at the mercy of no converter selection for awhile. If its even feasible,I would start it around december of this year and make it a winter project. Am I smoking crack? Fill me in. :dunno:

Hate to say it, but probably not. The new trucks use a completly new smaller pcm and a whole new wiring system called Canbus. Untill someone comes up with a stand alone controller I think we're out of luck with this new tranny. You can't even get a signal from the ASDL connector on Canbus vehicles, so all our diagnostic tools won't even work! The Aeroforce won't work either, but a new canbus version will be out shortly!

Yeah, but if what AWDGM is saying is true (I don't doubt that it isn't), we can't even do that without re-wiring the whole damn truck. The 6.2L PCM wont talk/work with everything, basically rendering your DIC and other electronics as useless. Probably our best bet is Holley/Accel coming up with a standalone like they did for the original LS1 motor swaps into hot rods. That might be a year or two down the road though. I suspect the 6L80 is electronically controlled? Maybe GM will release a 400hp AWD six speed auto Silverado SS in the new generation of trucks on the GMT900 platform!!!!

Holding breath... :sigh:

that would be cool but with the money im spending on m truck i intend on keeping it!!!! :D

but its a big chnce seeing that the 6.2l is a option on the curent platform...would be kick ass

Give it time - somebody will make it work. 6-speed would be bad-ass. Question is, will one of us be able to bolt the transfer case to the 6l80E? We'll probably be on our own there, unless the Escalade comes AWD too...

Mr. P.

Escalade is AWD. All of that can be made to work by making custom mounts if needed and custom length half shafts/front axels etc. if needed. Thats the easy part. The hard part is getting everything talking to each other right.

BenKey,

Thats a good question, is it OBDII? I dont know. I'm guessing canbus is the next gen over ODBII?

can-bus is developped by Bosch, overhere they use it several years in transport-trucks. it's a technology to let several digital components talk to each other. it's used in agriculture, medical and industrial electronics too. overhere its getting used in more and more cars too. letop.gif:D

The 2007 Seirra Denali will have the 6.2, 6 speed auto and AWD too. Hopefully Chevy will carry it over to the SS too!

Benkey, it's still OBD2 to the best of my knowledge and is actually quite similar. Same tables and tuning parameters. It's the Canbus that makes them so different!

Edited by AWDGM (see edit history)