Lowest we can go...stock

Hey ssser's...

was wondering how far down I can turn my stock front suspension and still keep it within specs...and where do we measure from...just asking cause i am due for an alignment, and want to crank her down cause it seems that the front has always been higher...

THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!

The truck was intended to have a 2" rake, if you measure the centers of the fender openings (above the tires) you should find that the front fender ride-height measurement is exactly 2" lower than the rear. But this is a generality, some of the trucks arrived at the dealers with anything from a 1.5" to 2.5" rake, and this can be adjusted by simply tightening/loosening the torsion bar adjusting bolts under the truck; each full rotation of the bolt affects the ride height of the front fender about 1/8".

Changing the torsion bar adjustment is ok within reason, I would not raise/drop the front fender height more than an inch from OEM design (3-inches below the rear fender ride height). DO NOT go more than 2" from stock!!! If you want to drop the truck more than an inch then

(1) install 1" lowering keys (easy, $100, see the how-to) and lower an additional inch beyond that for up to 2" drop in front;

(2) install drop spindles for a 2-3" drop;

(3) install drop spindles + lowering keys for 3-4" drop.

I used both spindles and keys, my truck has about 3.25" drop in front and 3.75" drop in the rear; I personally like having that "pickup truck rake". I also like having a bit of wheel well opening showing as well, so I also installed shorter tires, and that lowered the truck an additional 1/2-inch as well.

lowered.jpg

Mr. P. :)

I also installed shorter tires, and that lowered the truck an additional 1/2-inch as well.

funny how noticable of a visual height diff. that makes isnt it?

i had a bunch of my friends fooled when i put my kumho-s on, they thought i lowered it...

im still debating whether or not to install this mcgaughys kit i have here, im kinda scarred what its going to turn out like. actually, i dont even have the spindles sitting here anymore now that i think aboot it, theyve been at Exotic coatings getting powder coated for the past friggin' month, man those guys are slow..

anywho, trucks lookin good mr. P :thumbs:

i had a bunch of my friends fooled when i put my kumho-s on, they thought i lowered it...

im still debating whether or not to install this mcgaughys kit i have here, im kinda scarred what its going to turn out like. actually, i dont even have the spindles sitting here anymore now that i think aboot it, theyve been at Exotic coatings getting powder coated for the past friggin' month, man those guys are slow..

Thanks man - I recommend against the McGaughy's front leaf spring perches, you will take the fast right out of your truck IMO. Not only does the pinion angle change, but the instant center becomes worse for an AWD truck (the front-end lifts on acceleration). The McGaughy's front spindles are decent, and shackles are ok. But I think Belltech has the right idea in keeping the front leaf-spring eye in the factory location and using a flatter spring. I'm still not sure, I haven't gotten to measuring my rear suspension geometry yet.

Mr. P.

Thanks man - I recommend against the McGaughy's front leaf spring perches, you will take the fast right out of your truck IMO. Not only does the pinion angle change, but the instant center becomes worse for an AWD truck (the front-end lifts on acceleration). The McGaughy's front spindles are decent, and shackles are ok. But I think Belltech has the right idea in keeping the front leaf-spring eye in the factory location and using a flatter spring. I'm still not sure, I haven't gotten to measuring my rear suspension geometry yet.

Mr. P.

i dont know if you read my post mr p. but after i put in those 6 degree shims my angle was just shy of 3 degrees off angle. i think if i switch my rear shackle to the lowest hole setting and the hanger to the bottom hole i would be just about square with the same drop!

i dont know if you read my post mr p. but after i put in those 6 degree shims my angle was just shy of 3 degrees off angle. i think if  i switch my rear shackle to the lowest hole setting and the hanger to the  bottom hole i would be just about square with the same drop!

Gotcha - will look that over tonight!

how are you guys dropping your truck 3-4 inches?? i got 1" drop keys and dropped the truck approx. 1 1/2" and its on the bumps! (they are cut to the last knob). if i got belltech bumps and lowered it to 2", id be on the frame.... also, my camber was insane at 1 3/4"......

how are you guys dropping your truck 3-4 inches?? i got 1" drop keys and dropped the truck approx. 1 1/2" and its on the bumps! (they are cut to the last knob). if i got belltech bumps and lowered it to 2", id be on the frame.... also, my camber was insane at 1 3/4"......

drop spindles and drop torsion keys!