Ooops, I messed up!

I just bought an '04 Silverado SS with 27,000 miles, love the truck!. Last night I decided to change the oil because the information center said to change it. I got my Moble 1 synthetic 5W-30W and a new filter and started in on it. I opened the bolt that I assumed was the oil pan bolt and instead of black I saw red fluid pouring put! Obviously I just drained the automatic transmition fluid. I then found the oil bolt and changed the oil and filter with no problems. Now I am left with the task of finding the correct automatic transmition fluid and the proper amount to pour back into it. I know I can find the right stuff if I look in the manual but I was wondering if there is anything out there that is the best for it. Also, is there no filter for the transmition fluid bucause I couldn't find one under there? Thanks

I guess I will say it since nobody else has..

1. How did you mistake the tranny for the oil pan.

2. since you made that mistake maybe you should have left that oil change to a pro.

:withstupid:

but just get a big jug of dexeron or what ever it is and a funnel and puor it into the trans dipstick...wait I might just have exceeded you technical level :crackup:

what ever you do dont pour your trans fluid into the engine :banghead:

and how did the trans plug come out?? easy or was it a PITA :confused: Just wondering.

There is a filter for the tranny. You'd have to remove the pan to see it.

Be careful when you go to refill what you drained. Just dropping the plug does not drain very much out of the tranny as a whole. I would put the plug back in and replace 1qt and crank it up and let it get up to temp. Then check your dipstick, while running, and fill as necessary. Do not just drop in 3qts and feel that you're good. You may have just overfilled your tranny if you do. Unless you have a way of measuring what you have removed, I'd be careful. I've used the drain plug twice and both times it took different amounts to replace. Up on ramps vs not on ramps changes the amount.

Oh yeah, GM Dexron III works.

There is a filter for the tranny.  You'd have to remove the pan to see it. 

Be careful when you go to refill what you drained.  Just dropping the plug does not drain very much out of the tranny as a whole.  I would put the plug back in and replace 1qt and crank it up and let it get up to temp.  Then check your dipstick, while running, and fill as necessary.  Do not just drop in 3qts and feel that you're good.  You may have just overfilled your tranny if you do.  Unless you have a way of measuring what you have removed, I'd be careful.  I've used the drain plug twice and both times it took different amounts to replace.  Up on ramps vs not on ramps changes the amount.

Oh yeah, GM Dexron III works.

:withstupid:

It may take 3-5 qts depending on how much you drained out and how warm the tranny was.

Welcome to the forum - and don't listen to those guys giving you shit :P Keep at it! As BenKey said GM Dexron III for the tranny, and Mobil-1 5W-30 or 0W-30 (or premium synthetic equivalent) for the engine oil. At 27K-miles you did not do a bad thing, it was time to change the tranny fluid and filter anyway; if you need help walking through changing the tranny filter just ask and we'll help.

Mr. P. :)

edit - personally, buying a used vehicle with that kind of mileage I would change ALL the fluids (front/rear axles, transfer case).

Thanks for the info from the guys that actually care in this forum. Obviously I must look like an idiot and it was a stupid mistake. I have always changed my own oil did engine work on my older cars. Lately I haven't with my newer vehicles because I don't have the time anymore, but I wanted to on this one for the aforementioned reason. I realize that not all of the fluid came out and I need to carefully add the new fluid to bring it to the proper level. Just wanted to know ballpark and what the correct fluid is, and now I have it thanks.

If your truck didn't catch fire, you didn't make that big of a mistake.  We all learn from our mistakes.  I know I've learned the hard way on my truck.

You would know :D

On second thought, so would I, more than once. Mistakes that is, not fire.

Archived