Dell computer question

ThePDB

Ok, I'm thinking or ordering a Dell laptop. I was on their website today and it has an option for 130.00 to add a TV tuner and be able to record and pause live TV (kinda like PVR or TIVO) does anyone have a dell that has this? is it worth the money? Thanks guys! Chad

My folks ordered their computer with this, and I thought it would be cool. It was jumpy, almost as if the computer couldn't keep up. I thought I'd lower the quality of the video, but it was already as low as it could go.

The TV tuner works great, but the DVR is slow at best. I bought an external TV tuner from Best Buy, and it too works good for the TV portion, but not so hot for the recording. I use the TV tuner with the notebook when we go camping.

My folks ordered their computer with this, and I thought it would be cool.  It was jumpy, almost as if the computer couldn't keep up.  I thought I'd lower the quality of the video, but it was already as low as it could go.

The TV tuner works great, but the DVR is slow at best.  I bought an external TV tuner from Best Buy, and it too works good for the TV portion, but not so hot for the recording.  I use the TV tuner with the notebook when we go camping.

ok, so from what I understand the TV tuner is ok, but the DVR sucks. HMM, I guess for some reason I'm kinda liking the TV tuner option. My parents are building a lakehouse for the summer and weekends now and I'm pretty sure they wont be getting cable or satellite there. That's actually one of the reasons I'm getting the laptop because all I have now is my desktop.

sounds sweet.

make sure to get the wi-fi buit in, no USB, inside...so you can go get free internet :)

and then make sure to save for some tuning software

Yeah, it's got it built in! When christy comes over to my house she hops on my neighbors wireless... I swear I'm about ready to cancel my Comcast and use his :D

My folks ordered their computer with this, and I thought it would be cool.  It was jumpy, almost as if the computer couldn't keep up.  I thought I'd lower the quality of the video, but it was already as low as it could go.

The TV tuner works great, but the DVR is slow at best.  I bought an external TV tuner from Best Buy, and it too works good for the TV portion, but not so hot for the recording.  I use the TV tuner with the notebook when we go camping.

ok, so from what I understand the TV tuner is ok, but the DVR sucks. HMM, I guess for some reason I'm kinda liking the TV tuner option. My parents are building a lakehouse for the summer and weekends now and I'm pretty sure they wont be getting cable or satellite there. That's actually one of the reasons I'm getting the laptop because all I have now is my desktop.

Exactly... The TV tuner works excellent. But i wouldn't buy it for the DVR capabilities.

:withstupid: I have this on my XPS and love it

I think I can live with the recording issues, really I just like the idea of the tv tuner part. It's also promising that I'm hearing it works as good as it does. I'd hate to have high expectations and get let down. It sounds like its worth the 130.00 upgrade. Thanks guys, keep the input coming. I'm probably going to place the order sometime midweek when I'm 100% sure on everything I want.

tv tuner is great, i sell computers, and we sell the media center editions all the time. ive worked at Circuit City, and now I work at Office Depot. Too be completely honest, u dont want a dell. the XPS is pretty good, but for that amount of $ u can get better. I like HP prob the best, cuz they r soooooooo easy to work on. Toshiba is another favorite, if u r looking at an XPS, u might like the Qosmio from Toshiba. it has everything the XPS has plus more! ive owned 2 dell's and now i have an HP and its like night and day. and as stated above Dell's customer service is the worst out now(used to be their strong point). I also agree the PVR that is incorporated is not worth it, but the tv tuner is very good. ull also enjoy the FM radio on any Media Center PC. Good Luck, and remember its hard as dell("easy as dell"), o wait they changed their slogan....its something like i hate this piece of shit, "yeah it's a dell" haha they set themselves up with their slogans!

tv tuner is great, i sell computers, and we sell the media center editions all the time.  ive worked at Circuit City, and now I work at Office Depot.  Too be completely honest, u dont want a dell.  the XPS is pretty good, but for that amount of $ u can get better.  I like HP prob the best, cuz they r soooooooo easy to work on.  Toshiba is another favorite, if u r looking at an XPS, u might like the Qosmio from Toshiba.  it has everything the XPS has plus more!  ive owned 2 dell's and now i have an HP and its like night and day.  and as stated above Dell's customer service is the worst out now(used to be their strong point).  I also agree the PVR that is incorporated is not worth it, but the tv tuner is very good.  ull also enjoy the FM radio on any Media Center PC.  Good Luck, and remember its hard as dell("easy as dell"), o wait they changed their slogan....its something like i hate this piece of shit, "yeah it's a dell"  haha they set themselves up with their slogans!

Hmmm, Thats interesting. I've had HP's and compaq laptops before and had nothing but issues with those. I'll NEVER buy another compaq again no matter what- I promised myself that a long time ago. As for the Toshiba, a buddy of mine works at a computer place around me and says he sees the toshibas in getting worked on NON STOP. He said they use Acers at work... not the top of the line my any means... but are good for their price. I saw an acer with most of the stuff I found on the dell for like 899. I think no matter what computer you have eventually it's going to cause some problems. I havent had one yet that hasnt...

I have a dell latitude for work and i have had it for 2 years and i will say its been great. I havnt had one problem out of it. and i will say out of those 2 years it stays on 22hrs a day. The only thing i have done to it is add ram.

I have had 2 toshiba's. one was a normal laptop with everything on it. it lasted exactly 3 years and quit working. i bought a widescreen toshiba and i hate it. i have had a few minor problems with it too. Its just too big.

I have a dell latitude for work and i have had it for 2 years and i will say its been great. I havnt had one problem out of it. and i will say out of those 2 years it stays on 22hrs a day.  The only thing i have done to it is add ram. 

I have had 2 toshiba's.  one was a normal laptop with everything on it. it lasted exactly 3 years and quit working.  i bought a widescreen toshiba and i hate it.  i have had a few minor problems with it too.  Its just too big.

Thats what I'm scared of. I'm thinking of a 17" but when I saw some 17" monitor laptops at best buy they are HUGE. I might just get a 15"

just like every other dumbass out there ok i dont know shit haha ur the genius here ****ing stupid for real. compaq is made with the EXACT SAME PARTS AS THE HP! dell is the most errornous computer company on the market whether u wanna believe it or not. again ur the expert u know everything u see it every day at work, and i dont? please dont be like the stupid customers who ask for the ubs drives and then try to tell u that ur wrong about something. anywho buy the POS dell cuz its cheaper, i mean saving a few bucks this year and buying another one next year is a lot more efficient right? 600 this year 800 next year its the same as paying a lil extra (750) once right? dont be stupid ull rgret it, but hey what do i know??? :dunno:

I have a dell latitude for work and i have had it for 2 years and i will say its been great. I havnt had one problem out of it. and i will say out of those 2 years it stays on 22hrs a day.  The only thing i have done to it is add ram. 

I have had 2 toshiba's.  one was a normal laptop with everything on it. it lasted exactly 3 years and quit working.  i bought a widescreen toshiba and i hate it.  i have had a few minor problems with it too.  Its just too big.

yeah exactly all uve done is add RAM. u prob dont use the comp enough to need anything else. dell is good for typing reports, i wouldnt EVER recommend it for anything more than that. i mean who surfs the internet anyways? and if u got a problem our friends in sri lanka will be gald to assist u within the hour! shipping costs r fairly cheap nowadays right? if u have problems they r here for u(if u can understand them). its ur fault u bought the 17 inch screen, if u want a desktop buy a desktop not a damn 17 inch mammoth. 3 years u needed a new computer anyways, and 3 years is 3X the life of a normal dell GUARANTEED. whoever sold u that toshiba was a douche bet ur battery life sucks too(even tho the new laptoip chips r made to maximize ur battery life). im not saying i know everything cuz thatd be stupid, but seriously thats like telling chip foose how to build a car. :nono: