OT: Anyone here own a greyhound?

misterp

I am thinking seriously of getting a greyhound, and wanted to know if anyone else could offer feedback on the breed. I've read a lot and it seems like a great match for me and I'm really attracted to the breed but I've never had firsthand experience. Can anyone advise with their temperment, obedience, demand for attention, traffic sense, etc? I've lived with and owned lots of dog breeds in my life, my favorites have been a great dane and catahoula, but the dane was like owning a slobbering elephant (but a lot of fun!) and the catahoula was a fantastic dog but happiest when hunting wild hogs so I gave her to a guy who does that...

Mr. P. :)

FYI - I've been around the following kinds of dogs, if you guys can compare to traits of any of these it would help me.

* old english sheep dog (great dog, too much hair)

* blue heeler (hell no!)

* queensland heelers (hell no!)

* australian shepherd (smart, but the hair thing again)

* kelpie

* border collie

* collie (stupid dog!)

* daschund

* catahoula

* great dane (purebred stud, awesome kids dog)

* akita (purebread stud)

* boxer mix

* palmeranian (no way!)

* lhasa apso (is there a brain in there?!)

* saint bernard

* jack russel terrier

Edited by misterp (see edit history)

We had one for about 3 months a few years ago. Retired Greyhounds are great dogs. Unfortunately, I would not recommend them if you have small children around. They seem to see everything small and fast as prey. 99% of them are great. Ours, however, bit my daughter on the head completely unprovoked. It seemed to be very jittery around children so we ended up giving it back to the rescue league.

On the upside, they are beautiful animals who become very loyal and loving pets. They generally are not agressive at all (except with small animals). They do demand a lot of attention and they MUST have a place to run. These animals live to run. And plan on giving up at least half the couch and bed as they think they are lap dogs and they definately like to get comfortable.

My wife and I are thinking seriously about getting another one now that my daughter is grown. I would say that if you don't have little kids around, go for it.

i had a greatdane mixed with a grey hound it was a amazing dog, i loved it dearly but it was given away when i was not around :tear: still pisst off about it. ive never owned a greyhound but from what i hear the retired ones are great plus u give them a second shot

My Aunt adopted one. It is very friendly and has a great temperment. Just remember they are trained to run. I don't know if you can ever train it to just stick around. If her's gets out it's gone and it's no joy to try and catch.....believe me!!

Jay

i have a pug and its pretty cool but a lazy fatass and it snorts alot. i also gave my girl a pom and its cool but very jeolous and has little man syndrome as i call it. she also has a jackl russel and its cool as hell a hunter and very smart with stregnth.

My roommate had one for about 6 wks. Girlfriend complained that it was just too big and ended up giving it back. They are very friendly and do require a lot of attention. I think if you train them not to get on the couch/bed they won't, but once you do give it up.