has anyone used or heard of harland sharp rockers?

i found these on ebay for $374.95 http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...:MEWA:IT&ih=017

and the ad seems like they know there stuff, and they also fit under the stock covers.. if they are good would it be ok to use the 1.8's with a stock cam? (i won't change the cam) i want to get as much out of the stock cam without changing it..

also anyone know if i would have to retune my pcm, or would it be fine just bolting them on :confused:

and how much power would they realy add :dunnoe any help would be appreciated.

thanks.

HArland sharp has been around for years. They are proven in the racing industry. I had a set on my sbc 78 Z28, fantastic rockers. The only thing is that they, like all companies, have had an issue or two with certain designs. I cant remember if they had issues with rockers on LSx style engines or not. I know they had some build quality issues on grand prix rockers. But in their defense, how many comp cams failures and lifter failures have you seen? Probably just as many as any other large company. If they fit your vehicle, they are a great buy. Doesn't Tbyrnemotorsports sell rockers?

HArland sharp has been around for years.  They are proven in the racing industry.  I had a set on my sbc 78 Z28, fantastic rockers.  The only thing is that they, like all companies, have had an issue or two with certain designs.  I cant remember if they had issues with rockers on LSx style engines or not.  I know they had some build quality issues on grand prix rockers.  But in their defense, how many comp cams failures and lifter failures have you seen?  Probably just as many as any other large company.  If they fit your vehicle, they are a great buy.  Doesn't Tbyrnemotorsports sell rockers?

they sell cranes at almost $700!! so thats not an option for me.

also on ebay are a brand called yella terra? for about the same price http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...:MEWA:IT&ih=001

are they any good.. and would they be a better choice then the harland sharp's :dunno:

thanks for the input :cheers:

Yella terra sounds mexican...low quality. I would trust Harland sharp before anything else. What are you trying to accomplish with the rockers? More horsepower? Are you building a motor? If you want performance and horsepower, spend $500 on a ZEX nitrous kit and call it a day. Alot safer and easier to bolt on than rockers or anything. If you run the factory 75hp shot for the truck applications, you really dont even need tuning. Alot more ang for your buck.

You really need to establish some performance goals. Do you want to naturally aspirated or forced induction? Do you want to tear into the block or not? Do you want to run 500 hp or just bolt ons and 400hp? Is this a daily driver? Do you have any current mods? Truthfully, you would probably gain more from just a pcm hot tune from zippy or pcmforless than what the rockers would give you. Those rockers are good for maybe 15-20hp gain...no where near 40 on an LSx style motor.

Edited by Black2003SS (see edit history)

If you want to read plenty on HS or YT rockers, go to LS1 tech and search. There is a lot of good and bad about both. Whichever ones you go with don't forget to get another set of springs - so add another $150.

Why not just get a cam cut to the spec you want and up your duration and lift that way? It will cost about the same as your cheapest route for the other way and you will get more power out of it.

i'll try to answer all those questions in one reply... my truck is not used daily but i do use it for everyday task and when a truck is needed. i like my warranty and will not get into the internal engine (why i said i will not change the cam) so my goals are to get as much over 400hp with bolt on's and drive it that way until the warranty expires.. i have a volant cai, and duel FM super 40's, i will add pacesetters in the near future as well as a pcm tune and 160-stat.

from what i gathered on this site even low balling my estimates that should put my right at 400hp :dunno: so i'm trying to plan my mod's past that point, and what i figured are some of my other options are TB spacer (not sure if worth it), larger TB (have'nt researched that yet), the roller rockers i already mentioned.. and as far as nitrous goe's that would be great if i could do it without hurting my engine :confused: and is it just a bolt on thing :dunno: is it something that could be removed and put back to stock quickly?..

once my warranty expires (in 2-3 years) i will look into FI setup or maybe i'll go with a stroker?.. but thats in the future so for now i'm keeping it simple.

nitrous could be an option but i don't think i would run a 75 shot with a stock pcm.. don't you have to retard the timing 2 degrees for every 50hp added?.. and is there a way to get the computer to automaticaly retard the timing only when nitrous is used :confused: if the engine did blow would the dealer be able to tell if i removed the nitrous system? :confused: thanks again... :cheers:

The ZEX system for the trucks comes with a nitrous control center to add the right amount of fuel based on the bottle pressure of the nitrous. i would seriously not waste your money on the rockers. I think you will be disappointed in the amount of gains you see for the effort and cost. Get the headers first. Also, rockers will void your warranty most likely because they would end up being the culprit of the failure. 400hp is doable by staying out of the motor. TB spacer is worthless as the paper the advertise them on. The only need for one is if you need them for a place to hook up the nitrous. Your immediate list should include...

PCM

Pace Setters

CAI - cold air induction

cat back exhaust

torque converter

This combo will help you drop up to almost a full second in the qaurter mile...or more.

The ZEX system for the trucks comes with a nitrous control center to add the right amount of fuel based on the bottle pressure of the nitrous.  i would seriously not waste your money on the rockers.  I think you will be disappointed in the amount of gains you see for the effort and cost.  Get the headers first.  Also, rockers will void your warranty most likely because they would end up being the culprit of the failure.  400hp is doable by staying out of the motor.  TB spacer is worthless as the paper the advertise them on.  The only need for one is if you need them for a place to hook up the nitrous.  Your immediate list should include...

PCM

Pace Setters

CAI - cold air induction

cat back exhaust

torque converter

This combo will help you drop up to almost a full second in the qaurter mile...or more.

i already have the cai (volant) and duel exhaust after cats.. the tune and headers are next on the list. but as far as a converter will that void my warranty?.. and will it hurt fuel economy?.. and last Q how much difference would a converter make?.

also you did'nt mention anything about the nitrous issue's like coulld it be remved without any evidence of it being there how big a process is it to remove... and such. let me know thanks. :cheers:

I have HS rockers on my Firebird (stock 1.5:1 ratio), they work as advertised. Over 13 years old, no issues. But there are stiffer/better ones available, and I agree with BenKey in that the change in rocker ratio will not give a cost-effective impact in performance.

Mr. P. :)

Edited by misterp (see edit history)

I have HS rockers on my Firebird (stock 1.5:1 ratio), they work as advertised.  Over 13 years old, no issues.  But there are stiffer/better ones available, and I agree with BenKey in that the change in rocker ratio will not give a cost-effective impact in performance.

well if the rockers will void my warranty anyway once i'm done with the bolt on's.. how much doe's a cam cost installed? (i could do it my self just never worked on anything new before) and how much of a performance difference will it make?.

my experiance with older V8s tells me when you swap a cam only it needs to be relatively tame if nothing else is changed, and to see real gains you need a cam matched to a good intake and carb, headers, heads, converter, and so forth.

i will have the headers, but will the rest of it be ok stock :dunno: if i have to switch my intake manifold, injectors, and converter, just to run a cam.. i'm not sure if i'm up to that quite yet :confused: and i know if i get nitrous it will be addictive :devil: and it's just to easy to change a jet and get another 50-75hp added to the 75-100 it already had "just for one run to take out that guy in the srt10 ram talking shit".... then "KABOOM" blew the motor all in the name of being better then the other guy :banghead: so nitrous is an option for me but i'm scared of the temptation. i would rather do everything else 1'st and see if i'm happy with the results :dunno: but now that i'm rambling on and on.. i realize it will never be enough :D and what i'm avoiding now will probably be what i will get once i run out of bolt on's!... :crackup:

A converter in our awd trucks is good for at 3-5 tenths in the quarter. If you do a cam swap, you will need to change valve springs like benkey mentioned, worth it though. You can pick up 40-60hp with a good cam swap and custom tune. Some Nelson guy in texas claimed 90hp, but most didnt believe it. I have no clue if it was true or not. As far as the NO2 goes, the zex kit can be removed without leaving much of a trace that it was there depending on you mount the control box it comes with. Good luck with your decisions. There are so many its not even funny.

well if the rockers will void my warranty anyway once i'm done with the bolt on's.. how much doe's a cam cost installed? (i could do it my self just never worked on anything new before) and how much of a performance difference will it make?.

my experiance with older V8s tells me when you swap a cam only it needs to be relatively tame if nothing else is changed, and to see real gains you need a cam matched to a good intake and carb, headers, heads, converter, and so forth.

i will have the headers, but will the rest of it be ok stock :dunno: if i have to switch my intake manifold, injectors, and converter, just to run a cam.. i'm not sure if i'm up to that quite yet :confused: and i know if i get nitrous it will be addictive :devil: and it's just to easy to change a jet and get another 50-75hp added to the 75-100 it already had "just for one run to take out that guy in the srt10 ram talking shit".... then "KABOOM" blew the motor all in the name of being better then the other guy :banghead: so nitrous is an option for me but i'm scared of the temptation. i would rather do everything else 1'st and see if i'm happy with the results :dunno: but now that i'm rambling on and on.. i realize it will never be enough  :D and what i'm avoiding now will probably be what i will get once i run out of bolt on's!... :crackup:

AFA matching a cam to stock induction parts - the LQ9 heads are actually pretty respectable pieces. Zippy has been getting very good results from the factory heads and intake manifold using the Comp Cams 273 + LT headers + catback + CAI + converter; the motor makes enough power N/A to require larger injectors and fuel pressure upgrade; add 100-shot atop that and you will definitely be running with the Radix guys. Thunder Racing and FMS also have some very good NOS-specific cams that help get the most out of the spray...

A converter in our awd trucks is good for at 3-5 tenths in the quarter.  If you do a cam swap, you will need to change valve springs like benkey mentioned, worth it though.  You can pick up 40-60hp with a good cam swap and custom tune.  Some Nelson guy in texas claimed 90hp, but most didnt believe it.  I have no clue if it was true or not.  As far as the NO2 goes, the zex kit can be removed without leaving much of a trace that it was there depending on you mount the control box it comes with.  Good luck with your decisions.  There are so many its not even funny.

i don't have an awd mine is 2wd would'nt that make it harder for me to launch without spinning off the line?.. with awd hooking is'nt a problem, but my truck already takes off with just the right amount of spin :) adding all this power (whenever i get to all of it) is going to require some mods for traction... this is getting off the original subject though i need to stay focused on 1 problem at a time :crazy:

AFA matching a cam to stock induction parts - the LQ9 heads are actually pretty respectable pieces.  Zippy has been getting very good results from the factory heads and intake manifold using the Comp Cams 273 + LT headers + catback + CAI + converter; the motor makes enough power N/A to require larger injectors and fuel pressure upgrade; add 100-shot atop that and you will definitely be running with the Radix guys.  Thunder Racing and FMS also have some very good NOS-specific cams that help get the most out of the spray...

on a side note are 2004 gto heads any good i can get them cheap?...

i plan on having everthing you mentioned other then the converter (not sure yet how it would affect things) already have the cai, and catback. it sounds to me with that set up it would be around 550hp.. so you mean to tell me a radix with cai, and headers/catback, will make about 550hp :cool:

i can get a vortec supercharger off a 2003ss for under $2000 would that get me there :dunno: if so that would be bad ass :devil:

but for right now i'm just trying to get as close to a high 13 low 14 as possible without breaking the bank (not that i have anything saved anyway :cry: ) and i'll see from there how much faster i want to go :D