Had to take my new cat back to the animal shelter

SS_bnoon_SS

:sigh: About 3 weeks ago, we got a second cat from the Animal Rescue League. He's a two year old Red Point Siamese and we named him Cosmo... He would jump into your lap and purr away, or chase toys until your arm got tired... He liked his face rubbed, and would put his paws on your face as he laid next to you stroking his belly. He is sooooooooo super sweet... well, super sweet until he got near our other cat.

He was supposed to be a buddy for our 4 year old Seal Point Siamese named Manny, but instead, Cosmo just had waaaaaaaay to much of an instinct to dominate and wouldn't leave Manny alone. Even after doing sooooooo many tricks and tips from various websites, like leaving Cosmo in a carrier in the middle of the room for a few days... or keep him in a "safe room" for another few days, then switch to let each other get the other's scents... Cos would act totally lovey dovey and purr up a storm, until he saw Manny... I guess he was neutered to late in his life as friends have introduced new animals and never had the problems we did.

For instance, on Saturday we had to take Manny to the after hours emergency pet care hospital to have them look at his eye. Cosmo darted past my wife and had chased Manny through the house yet again. Cosmo pinned Manny down by the neck, and they had a big ol fight as Manny tried his best to get away... During the fight, Manny caught a claw in the eye (actually the third eyelid) and had a few bite marks on his neck. Now, my first cat Manny needs eye drops 4-6 times a day in order to heal. He should be fine, but I couldn't stand to see him cower in the corner from a cat that we got to be his buddy.

I ended up taking Cosmo back to the ARL last night after going back and forth about the decision over the entire weekend. In the past, I've always damned the people that let thier babies go away to a place like the ARL, but now I can understand... I just couldn't get him under control no matter what we tried. I feel like my heart is broken. I haven't felt this bad in a loooooooooong time. :cry:

I know it doesn't help, but you did the right thing. It sounds like Cosmo would be a great pet for someone in a single cat home. Sorry it didn't work out for you.  :(

Thanks for saying that. Yes, he was a great pet outside of wanting to dominate our other cat. He never touched the furniture with his claws and was gentle with his claws even when we played rough.

One other thing, being a Siamese, he was always "talking" to us as we'd walk into the room...

"Meaaack merroooooow"

"Oh yeah, tell me all about it"

"Meck ma ma meherorooooooo meck merowww"

"Oh, O.K., we can play with the string now"

"Meroooooooroew, puurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr"

:cry:

I'm getting all teary eyed :tear: That would be an awful thing to have to do, but as stevebbb said...It was the right thing. One of my cats(female) has started marking around the house. My parents and I are trying to decide what to do with her. :banghead: She may be going to a no kill shelter in Lexington. Her vet put her an kitty prozac to see if it helps. :dunno: We have had her for about 6 years.

Yeah that is a bummer :( I had a seal-point siamese/himalayan once, BEAUTIFUL and he was the coolest cat. Super friendly, affectionate, smart, playful, just the best. Except he killed other cats in the neighborhood :eek: Siamese are very territorial that way.

Mr. P.

Siamese are very territorial that way.

Something we learned the hard way. Even if we had kept him and put him on the kitty Prozac, the relationship between the two cats was already tainted.

On a good note, our other cat Manny's general mood has gone back to normal instead of cowering in the corner or under tables as he had been the last couple of weeks. I went home to visit him at lunch and he greated me at the door with a "Meaaaarow" kitty hello like he used to do. :happysad: That makes me feel better to know that it was the right thing for him...

Manny pic:

post-7241-1155073653_thumb.jpg

Something we learned the hard way. Even if we had kept him and put him on the kitty Prozac, the relationship between the two cats was already tainted.

On a good note, our other cat Manny's general mood has gone back to normal instead of cowering in the corner or under tables as he had been the last couple of weeks. I went home to visit him at lunch and he greated me at the door with a "Meaaaarow" kitty hello like he used to do. :happysad: That makes me feel better to know that it was the right thing for him...

Manny pic:

Sorry man - you did the right thing though.

Manny pic:

Sorry man - you did the right thing though.

As you can tell from the lunch time pic, he doesn't get spoiled at all either...

Archived