Entry assist mirror lights...

S10Wildside

Let the electrical troubles begin! This morning I pulled my SS out of the garage, turned it off, got out, locked with the remote, closed up the garage, pushed the unlock button on remote, and the entry assist lights on the side mirrors did not come on. I tried playing with the lock/unlock button on the remote, but they still would not come on. It was very dark outside, so the lights should have come on. After I got to work (still dark), I pressed the unlock button on the remote and the lights DID come on. It's obviously not a fuse...so what's going on?

I was hoping the electrical gremlins wouldn't show up until after a few years and after I sell the truck (who knows, it could happen).

This is the only time I noticed that the lights did not come on.

As a side note...

I think I'm going to order the 2003 CD set from Helm. I hear there are a lot of modules in our trucks now and that one wire no longer necessarily serves just one purpose. Sounds like we've got data streams running all over the place. The CD set covers many newer GM vehicles, including the 2000 S-10 Blazer, 2000 Firehawk, and 2003 SS in the family. I guess that would be a good investment considering I do all the work on my vehicles. The CD set is $300 and the part number is GMPT02CDSI16. Now I'm kicking myself for ordering the 2000 Camaro/Firebird manuals for $120. Wish I would have known about the CD set sooner.

Have you reset your computer yet for daylight savings?? AZ doesn’t have day light savings time changes so I have not had to deal with this problem…-JK- BTW… :D

I have no idea wha't up with that... :confused:

Where does it say that I need to do that? :confused: What does that have to do with the problem?

Where does it say that I need to do that? :confused: What does that have to do with the problem?

What he's saying is that the computer is out of whack because it thinks it's in a different timezone because of daylight savings. However, we don't set the clocks back an hour until later this month.

I suppose GM could program the BCM to only activate the assist lights at a certain time of day, in which case timezone would matter. However, that's just plain silly and he's only joking with us. I just went along with it for kicks.

But seriously, I'd like to know how those lights are wired in. Must receive a signal from a module (BCM maybe). Don't know why they didn't turn on. Guess I'll have to get the service manual to know how it all works.

I would try turning the feature off, then turning back on, with a crank in between, or resetting the PCM. It's just a computer and we all know that they have quirks. My desktop at home has it's moments also.

The precedure for resetting PCM, straight out of the huge manuals that slimsoftball purchased is:

-disconnect neg batt terminal

-turn ignition sw to start and hold for 15-20 secs

-release sw and turn back to off

-reconnect batt terminal

This is quite a bit different than other procedures I have seen. He helped me fix a problem I had. I would try doing it if nothing else seems to work.

• 1 year later...
I would try turning the feature off, then turning back on, with a crank in between, or resetting the PCM.  It's just a computer and we all know that they have quirks.  My desktop at home has it's moments also.

The precedure for resetting PCM, straight out of the huge manuals that slimsoftball purchased is:

-reconnect batt terminal

This is quite a bit different than other procedures I have seen.  He helped me fix a problem I had.  I would try doing it if nothing else seems to work.

Ben, Does SW mean ignition switch?

I would try turning the feature off, then turning back on, with a crank in between, or resetting the PCM.  It's just a computer and we all know that they have quirks.  My desktop at home has it's moments also.

-reconnect batt terminal

This is quite a bit different than other procedures I have seen.  He helped me fix a problem I had.  I would try doing it if nothing else seems to work.

Ben, Does SW mean ignition switch?

Yep.

-reconnect batt terminal

Ben, Does SW mean ignition switch? How can I tell if its been rest or not?

Yep.

Okay so this should work on a 2004, And what indication of the PCM being reset is present?

-reconnect batt terminal

Ben, Does SW mean ignition switch? How can I tell if its been rest or not?

Yep.

Okay so this should work on a 2004, And what indication of the PCM being reset is present?

I assume it works for "04s the same. You will not get an indication that the PCM has been reset other than whatever problem you may have been having goes away.

Archived